It is pretty easy to make your own mustache wax! This DIY Mustache Wax will soften and smooth facial hair, and is also a great gift idea for men.
DIY Mustache Wax
I have a slight obsession with DIY projects and love experimenting with homemade alternatives (I even have a Pinterest board dedicated to them!) From homemade stainless steel cleaner, to homemade body wash…I like to try it all! There are many reasons to making your own body products and household items. My main reasons are saving money and reducing the toxins in my home.
My most popular blog post, ever, by far, is my DIY Beard Oil Recipe.
I made it as an inexpensive, but personal gift, for my husband for Christmas last year. The stuff is amazing – or so my bearded guy says!
This year, I decided to take a similar approach but test out another DIY present – Mustache Wax!
This homemade mustache wax is easy to whip up and makes for a lovely gift. If you decide to make it as a gift (or just want it to look awesome sitting on your bathroom counter) I created a free printable label for you. The download link is in the “how to” below.
The Benefits of Mustache Wax
Despite it’s name, you do not have to strictly use it on just your mustache – it can also double as a beard balm.
This mustache wax will:
- Tame and soften facial hair
- Condition the hair
- Moisturize dry or itchy skin
- Work as a styling balm
How to Make Mustache Wax
This mustache wax is only labor intensive if you opt to buy a brick of beeswax instead of beeswax pellets. Pro tip: BUY THE PELLETS! They are so much easier to work with and melt. Otherwise, you’ll be grating extremely hard beeswax until your hand falls off. (I did discover that popping the brick into the microwave for a little while softens it up a bit though, which makes it much easier to grate.)
- 1 cup of beeswax pellets (or grated beeswax)
- 1 cup of coconut oil
- 10-15 drops of essential oils for scent (cedarwood has a lovely masculine scent – my guy likes it mixed with lavender)
- A jar or tin
- Optional: Subscribe below to receive the FREE printable label I created (they fit on Avery 22807 sticker labels). These labels secure perfectly onto these 2oz tins or 4oz mason jars.
Mustache Wax Labels: Free Printable
Mustache Wax Label
Sign up to receive your free download in your inbox.
- Using the double boiler method (like you would to melt chocolate), melt together the coconut oil and beeswax, whisking frequently.
- Once melted completely, remove from the heat and mix in the essential oils that you chose.
- Pour carefully into tins and stick on your label!
How to use mustache wax:
- Simply use your finger to remove some of the wax and massage into your facial hair. Depending on your purpose, use more or less. For example, if you are using it to style, you may want to use more than if you are applying it to tame frizzy hair.
- Both coconut oil and beeswax are softer in a warm atmosphere and harder when it’s cold. If you find that your wax is hard, scrape some out and massage it between your fingers to let your body heat warm it up so you can work with it.