This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy.
DIY Beard Oil
Last Christmas, we were able to buy one gift for our son, but my husband and I decided not to buy each other anything.
However, I could not just leave him hanging! (Isn’t that how the no-gift-giving vow always work out?)
I decided to give him a homemade gift – but a useful one and one that I already had the supplies for since I was on a budget. Not an easy task.
My husband was coveting all these expensive beard oils and creams. (After being in the military for five years and having to shave daily, he decided to grow out a beard! Who can blame him?!)
Of course, he has a wife that likes to tries to do everything herself, so I said, “I can make you some beard oil!”
And that’s when the Christmas gift idea of DIY beard oil was born.
Homemade Beard Oil Ingredients
Each ingredient in this beard oil recipe has a purpose (and makes it smell awesome!)
The oil base (I used apricot oil because it is what I had on hand and it’s pretty inexpensive) helps to moisturize and tame the beard.
Vitamin E oil is very nourishing for your skin and promotes the growth of healthy hair.
Cedarwood essential oil is known for it’s soothing and anti-inflammatory properties. This is great for a beard that might be irritating or itchy sometimes (especially growing one back out after a shave.)
Lavender essential oil is another great addition to this beard oil because it is relaxing and promotes healthy hair growth. It also helps to remove any bacteria from the area which will ward off infections from razor cuts.
While all of these ingredients have a purpose in this recipe, the essential oil combination smells awesome (and pretty manly.)
Personally, I prefer to use 2oz amber dropper bottles to store this homemade beard oil.
- Oil base IE: Sweet almond oil, apricot oil, jojoba oil - whatever your preference.
- 2-3 drops Tea tree essential oil
- 2-3 drops Cedarwood essential oil
- 2-3 drops Lavender essential oil
- Amber dropper bottle
- Printable labels - the download form is above
- Double-sided tape or glue - to secure the printable label to the bottle
- Fill the dropper bottle up 3/4 of the way with the oil base you chose.
- Add in 2-3 drops of each essential oil.
- Fill the bottle the rest of the way with vitamin E oil.
- (Of course, make sure to leave a little wiggle room so the dropper top can fit on without any spillage.)
- Label the bottle.
This beard oil pairs perfectly with this DIY Mustache Wax, which also includes a free printable.