This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. See my disclosure policy.
If you’re seeking a delicious vegan dessert recipe, look no further than this creamy hemp seed matcha vegan cheesecake. Packed with superfood nutrition and naturally sweetened!
Hemp Seed Matcha Vegan Cheesecake
When I first tasted a vegan cheesecake recipe, I was blown. away. When I made Minimalist Baker’s vegan cheesecake recipe, I didn’t even know where I was. Life didn’t feel real. SO GOOD GUYS.
Being the hemp seed-lover that I am, I had to try to make cheesecake with the teeny nutrition-packed nuggets. Hemp seeds (I love the Manitoba Harvest hulled hemp seeds!) are a pretty soft seed, not too crunchy, so they ended up blending beautifully with the soaked cashews that are traditionally used for vegan cheesecakes.
I also love matcha. The green tea powder is seriously loaded with healthy goodness, and has a lovely earthy flavor.
When these three loves come together (vegan cheesecake, hemp seeds, and matcha) magic happens. REAL MAGIC. Witchy kitchen magic.
I followed the basic idea of Minimalist Baker’s cheesecake recipe, but changed some ingredients, altered some amounts, and added some things in to create this yummy:
Hemp Seed Matcha Vegan Cheesecake Recipe
What to do Ahead of Time:
The night before, soak the cashews in water and put your coconut milk in the fridge so you can easily separate the cream.
I love this recipe because it is all done in the blender – including the crust! First, you will want to remove the pits from the medjool dates and give the dates a whirl in the blender. They’ll end up in one big mushy ball. Remove the dates from the blender and set aside.
Then, blend together the walnuts and the hemp seeds. Add the dates back in and blend again until the mixture comes together (or, basically smushes together when you pinch it.)
Press about a tablespoon into the bottom of each muffin tin.
You just throw all the cheesecake ingredients into the blender and blend, blend, blend until smooth and creamy. Even my pretty-cheap Ninja blender can make this mixture super creamy. I started out using the larger pitcher and blades, which wasn’t breaking the mixture down enough because all three blades were not hitting it. But when I transferred it to the smaller blender, it came together perfectly!
Then, you simply pour the cheesecake mixture evenly into the muffin tins and stick in the freezer until set (about 4 hours).
(Pssst: If you basically NEED chocolate in every dessert like I do, you can make a super delicious chocolate drizzle made from cacao powder, coconut oil, and maple syrup. Chocolate + matcha = total yum.)
I always recommend buying organic ingredients when you can. Read: Why Should You Buy Organic?
Vegan Cheesecake Crust
- 3/4 cup walnuts
- 1/4 c hemp seeds
- 1 cup pitted medjool dates
Hemp Seed Matcha Cheesecake
- 3/4 cup soaked cashews
- 1 cup hemp seeds
- 3/4 c coconut cream*
- 2 Tbs matcha
- 1/4 c lemon juice
- 1/2 c maple syrup
Chocolate Drizzle (optional)
- 3 Tbs coconut oil
- 2 Tbs cacao powder
- 1 Tbs maple syrup
- Put pitted medjool dates in a blender and blend until they form a mushy ball. Remove dates from the blender and set aside.
- Blend together the walnuts and hemp seeds until they form a grainy texture.
- Add in the dates and blend evenly until evenly incorporated. The mixture should stick together when you pinch it.
- Optional tip: Cut strips of parchment paper and lay down in each muffin tin to make it easier to pop each cheesecake out after freezing. (Loved this tip via Minimalist Baker!)
- Mush about a tablespoon of the crust mixture into the bottom of each muffin tin to form the crust. Set aside.
Hemp Seed Matcha Cheesecake
- Blend together all of the cheesecake ingredients until a creamy consistency. If the mixture isn't blending well, add more coconut cream to help it out.
- Evenly distribute the cheesecake mixture into the muffin tins atop the crust.
- Cover the muffin tin with parchment paper or plastic wrap and place in the freezer for 4 hours or until set.
- Optional but HIGHLY recommended because yum! Melt the coconut oil and mix together with the cacao powder and maple syrup.
- Drizzle over the hemp seed matcha cheesecakes when you're ready to dig in!
* To easy separate the coconut cream from canned coconut milk, put in the fridge for a couple of hours or overnight.