This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy.
How to Cook with Hemp Seed Oil (+ Recipes)
I often make the bold statement that hemp oil is the new coconut oil. While they both have awesome benefits and are incredibly nourishing in many ways, I find myself reaching for hemp oil far more frequently! I use hemp oil for my skin, for my son’s diaper rashes, as a carrier oil for essential oils, and I even cook with it!
I love experimenting with hemp oil and adding it to recipes.
Not only does it taste good, there are many benefits to using and consuming hemp oil.
Why Cook with Hemp Seed Oil?
This oil is incredible for our health in so many ways.
Here are some benefits of hemp oil:
- Hemp oil contains sitosterol, which helps reduce cholesterol in our bodies.
- It has the essential fatty acids that help with many skin issues – such as acne, eczema, and psoriasis.
- The properties of hemp oil can help heal skin cells and prevent skin cancer.
- Hemp oil contains Omega-9 and a good ratio of Omega-6 and Omega-3 which helps reduce cholesterol.
Cooking with Hemp Seed Oil:
Really, I use the term “cook” loosely, because you shouldn’t actually heat up hemp oil. When hemp oil is brought to a high temperature, it smokes, depletes of nutrients, and the taste changes. A little bit of heat is okay, but only so it’s at a luke warm temperature.
However, don’t let this disappoint you – there are so many other ways to incorporate hemp oil into your recipes and meals.
You can add hemp seed oil to:
- Salad dressings
- Protein shakes
- Sandwich spreads
- Cold soups
- …and more! Don’t be afraid to get creative.
(P.S. When you’re buying hemp oil, make sure it is cold-processed and unrefined. This means it hasn’t been messed with and still contains an optimum amount of nutrients. Plus, it’s vegetarian, vegan, and raw vegan approved! This kind of hemp oil is my favorite.)
How Does Hemp Seed Oil Taste?
It does have a flavor to it, much like olive oil does – as in, you will notice the flavor but it is not crazy overpowering.
Hemp oil has a lovely nutty, earthy taste to it that adds a great element to many recipes.
Hemp Seed Oil Recipes:
Here are some delicious hemp oil recipes and inspiration:
- Garlic Hemp Oil Salad Dressing
- Hemp Hummus Dip
- Blackberry & Cranberry Smoothie
- Hemp Oil Chickpea Spread
- Honey Mustard Salad Dressing with Hemp Oil
- Basil Hempseed Pesto
- Hemp Oil & Chive Salad Dressing
- Easy Hempseed Oil Vinaigrette Salad Dressing
- Crab, Pea, and Redcurrant Salad
Have you ever cooked with hemp seed oil? Leave me a comment and let me know how you’ve incorporated this nutritious oil into your diet!
You can also get the benefits of hemp in your diet by eating hemp seeds! Check out this delicious Blueberry Hemp Seed Salad recipe.