No need to run to the spa to buy fancy facial creams – make this Oatmeal & Turmeric Face Mask right at home, with ingredients from your kitchen, for healthy, moisturized skin!
DIY Oatmeal & Turmeric Face Mask
I’m a firm believer in taking the time, even if it’s just a few minutes, every day to care for yourself. Sometimes it’s in the form of hiding in the closet from a toddler, eating a bar of chocolate. Other times, it’s choosing to take care of my skin, which sometimes suffer from neglect, with a face mask treatment.
No need to go out and buy expensive products, though. You can easily make an awesome face mask at home, with ingredients you likely already have in your kitchen: just oats, turmeric, some oil, and water!
If you don’t already have turmeric, I highly recommend getting some – not only is it a total superfood (adding a little into smoothies is my go-to), it is also a great remedy for many ailments, including inflammation and skin problems. I like buying turmeric in bulk.
Benefits of Turmeric for Skin
- Reduces appearance of acne scars
- Treats acne (due to it’s antibacterial properties)
- Balances out oily skin
- Helps even out skin tone and treats dark spots
- Calms red, blotchy skin with it’s anti-inflammatory properties
- Turmeric is an antioxidant, which reduces damage to skin from sun and free radicals
Why Oatmeal is Good for Your Skin
Mix it with almond milk, apples, and cinnamon on the stove in the morning – smother it all over your face for healthy skin to wind down and treat yourself in the evening! Oatmeal has several benefits for your skin.
- Oatmeal is moisturizing
- Can relieve dry skin by balance your skin’s pH level
- Reduces inflammation
- Cleanses the skin
- Treats acne
Tip: Aside from using it in a face mask, I also like to take oatmeal baths – and give them to my dogs when they have dry, itchy skin, too. Just give the oats a whirl in a blender until they are powdery and stir some into the bath water.
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1.5 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Blend the oats and turmeric until it becomes a coarse powder consistency.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the oat/turmeric powder and the oil.
- Stir in enough water to make it a spreadable consistency. I used about a half a cup. (see notes)
- Using your fingers or the back of a spoon, smear the mixture all over your face, careful to avoid your eyes.
- Let sit for 5-10 minutes. Rinse off.