This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. See my disclosure policy.
A DIY sugar scrub recipe promotes healthy skin and is very easy to make, with only three basic kitchen ingredients: cane sugar, brown sugar, and oil.
Easy Sugar Scrub Recipe
Not only is this scrub recipe exfoliating, but it's also moisturizing.
This sugar scrub is made easily with 3 everyday ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen cabinets - cane sugar, brown sugar, and oil (I prefer hemp oil or grape seed oil for my face as I find they don't clog my pores, but olive oil and coconut oil also work.)
It can be mixed together in a matter of minutes, and can also be made in a big batch and stored for later.
Benefits of Exfoliating with a DIY Sugar Scrub
It's beneficial to exfoliate your body and face no matter your skin type - dry skin, oily skin, combination skin, acne-prone skin...Getting rid of those dead skin cells can improve your skin!
- Exfoliating with a face scrub has anti-aging effects (built-up dead skin cells exacerbate fine lines, and make your skin look dry and less supple.)
- Helps remove makeup
- Evens your skin tone
- Allows you to get a closer shave
- It makes your skin smoother, which allows for better makeup application
- Helps prevent acne and blackheads by keeping your pores clean
How to Exfoliate Your Face & Body
Exfoliating is a relatively easy process, but can be messy so I prefer to exfoliate in the shower. This is, of course, a no-brainer when you are scrubbing your body. But you certainly can exfoliate your face over the sink.
Just make sure not to get it too close to your eyes so sugar particles don't find their way in there.
Take about a tablespoon into your palm at a time and rub your hands together. Massage gently onto your body in circular motions. The areas I tend to focus on the most are the back of my upper arms and my legs (dry skin areas) and my face and neck (acne-prone areas).
DIY Sugar Scrub Recipe
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ tablespoon organic sugar
- ½ tablespoon oil - -like grape seed oil, olive oil, or melted coconut oil
Big Batch - Appx. 4 Uses
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons organic sugar
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Mix together all ingredients well.
- Massage onto face and/or body in gentle circular motions, being careful not to get too close to your eyes.
- Use 1-2 times a week.
- If you have extra, store the sugar scrub in an airtight container on the counter (up to 2 weeks) or in your fridge (1-2 months.)
mommy smith says
Audra Patterson says
Yes it also moisturizes and make your skin feel so smooth from exfoliation
Luv the the texture of the scrub but Do i apply the srub on a dry face?
You can, I prefer to splash a little water on my face first though.
Good recipe that is simple,quick and effective
Recipe is super great, fast and easy. The best part is that it works even though it's so simple. My only complaint is that if you use olive oil it turns out kind of stinky, so just choose a good smelling oil if that's important to you.
Rachel M says
Does this work as a sort of moistureizer?