This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. See my disclosure policy.
Vegan Funfetti Cake is a fun, colorful, vanilla-flavored layer cake with sprinkles perfect for birthday celebrations. Dairy-free and egg-free!
Everyone loves funfetti cake! Colorful rainbow sprinkles, moist springy vanilla sheet cake and fluffy fanilla frosting. What's not to love? And now, there's a vegan version of hit childhood favorite treat that's fully dairy-free, egg-free and nut-free.
This recipe was adapted from my vegan vanilla cake recipe. It has all of the sweet vanilla flavor and airy texture of the cake you love.
The ingredients for the vegan cake are straightforward and simple. To make the cake, like any cake recipe, you'll combine the wet ingredients and dry ingredients separately, then together. Pour into a cake pan and bake until golden and firm all the way through.
- Non-dairy milk. You can use any dairy-free milk for the cake batter. I like oat milk for baking.
- Flour. This recipe calls for all-purpose flour.
- Vanilla extract. For the signature vanilla flavor.
- Oil. To keep the cake moist. Use neutral oil for this, like avocado or vegetable oil.
- Sugar. You'll also want to use organic sugar to make sure it's vegan.
- Vinegar. A bit of acid helps the baking powder activate in the cake batter.
- Baking powder and baking soda. Together, these leaveners ensure your cake rises beautifully.
- Rainbow sprinkles. For the perfect color-studded cake, use jimmies sprinkles. Fancy Sprinkles has a line of vegan sprinkles, including the rainbow jimmies I use!
Substitutions & Swaps
- Nut-free: make your vegan funfetti cake nut-free by using hemp, oat or soy milk.
- Gluten-free: I haven't tested this recipe with gluten-free flour, however you should be able to do it with a gluten-free all-purpose flour blend.
- Vanilla: You can substitute vanilla extract with almond if you like a nuttier flavor in your birthday cake.
This cake is best the day it's made. Wait until the cake is fully cooled before you frost it.
If you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container on the counter for up to three days or in the fridge for up to five days. Note that storing the cake in the fridge might dry it out a bit.
Trying to go vegan? Sign up for our (FREE) Vegan Beginner's Guide!
Did you enjoy this recipe? Please leave a comment and a ⭐ star review below!
The recipe calls for a vanilla frosting, but if you'd prefer chocolate frosting here's the recipe for that!
Vegan Funfetti Cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x13 pan. I recommend using a glass pan.
- In a large bowl, stir together the wet ingredients: milk, oil, vinegar, vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sprinkles.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. I use a whisk to reduce clumps and a rubber spatula to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan.
- Bake for 32-36 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when stuck into the center of the cake.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely before removing from the pans. After 15 minutes of cooling at room temperature, you can put the cake pans in the fridge to speed up the process.
- Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, whip the room temperature butter for about 2 minutes at medium speed. This step helps to aerate the butter and create a fluffy frosting.
- Mix in the vanilla extract and 2 tablespoons of milk to start.
- Beat in the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time at low speed until frosting is smooth.
- Add more milk if the frosting is too thick, or more powdered sugar if too thin.
- Frost the cake when cooled.