This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy.
It's easier than you think to make tangy, creamy Vegan Ricotta Cheese with raw cashews, tofu, and lemon juice.
It's hard not to love ricotta cheese. Creamy, rich, a bit tangy and so versatile, this classic Italian cheese is a delicious way to jazz up a charcuterie board, a pizza, or a pasta dish. Luckily, you don't have to give up all that is great about ricotta just because you're vegan!
This vegan ricotta recipe is every bit as fluffy and cheesy, without any dairy. It's made with soaked cashews and tofu for a protein-rich vegan cheese you'll want to keep on hand at all times.
My personal favorite way to use ricotta is to spread it on freshly toasted bread drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with pepper, salt, and smoked paprika.
This recipe is also perfect for homemade vegan stuffed shells. What's your favorite way to enjoy vegan ricotta cheese? Leave me a suggestion in the comments and I'll give it a try!
You'll be amazed at how short this four-item ingredient list is (including salt). In fact, you might already have what you need to make vegan ricotta in your kitchen! Reminder: You can find the printable, detailed recipe in the recipe card below.
- Raw cashews. Make sure they're unroasted and unsalted. For more about soaking cashews for vegan cheese, read this article about how to soak cashews.
- Extra-firm tofu. This cuts through the heaviness of cashews with a light, fluffy texture and mild flavor.
- Lemon juice. Citrus adds just the right amount of acidity and brightness to your tangy ricotta.
- Salt. A pinch enhances the cheese's natural flavor.
Serving & Storage
Store leftover vegan ricotta cheese in an airtight container for up to four days in the refrigerator. However, the cheese doesn't freeze and defrost well.
Enjoy your homemade spread as a dip, a salad enhancer, a sandwich spread and so much more!
Did you enjoy this recipe? Please leave a comment and a ⭐ star review below!
Vegan Ricotta Cheese
- 1 cup cashews soaked and drained
- 14 ounces extra firm tofu drained
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- Prep: Soak cashews (see 3 easy methods here.) There is no need to press the tofu for this recipe.
- Blend all ingredients in a food processor until smooth and similar to the texture of traditional ricotta. Add more salt if desired.