This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. See my disclosure policy.
This Vegan French Toast recipe with a cinnamon-spiced batter and fluffy bread is an easy 6-ingredient breakfast or brunch kids and adults love. No eggs needed!
My family loves French toast. And one of my favorite ways to serve this easy recipe is a French toast bar. I'll make a big batch of vegan French toast then put out everyone's favorite toppings. We all have fun piling our plates high with our favorite breakfast treats.
The best part is how easy it is to put together a fun and decadent breakfast or brunch spread. This recipe is simple, fast to make, and calls for just 6 ingredients that you probably already have at home. The toppings are the fun part!
To whip up easy vegan french toast, pop into your fridge and pantry for six staple ingredients. Reminder: You can find the printable, detailed recipe in the recipe card below.
- Sliced bread. Choose a thick, sturdy loaf of bread for the best french toast. I like to grab a fresh loaf of french bread from my grocery store's bakery. You can also use sandwich bread, just make sure not to let it soak for too long in the mixture or it will get super soggy.
- Dairy-free milk. I like using extra creamy oat milk for this recipe. However, you can use any unsweetened, plain non-dairy milk. Almond, coconut, and soy all work.
- All-purpose flour. This thickens up the dairy-free milk in your french toast batter.
- Vanilla and cinnamon. These add the classic warming flavors to your breakfast plate.
French Toast Topping Ideas
Here's what my family loves with fresh-off-the-griddle french toast:
- Vegan whipped cream. SoDelicious, found in the freezer aisle, is a great option. Reddiwhip also now has two dairy-free versions, almond, and coconut, in the refrigerated section.
- Fresh berries
- Maple syrup (of course!)
- Chocolate chips (double-check that they're vegan)
- Chopped nuts
- Vegan cream cheese frosting
- Powdered sugar (choose organic to ensure it's vegan)
- Fruit compote or pie filling
French toast is best hot off the griddle. But you can store leftovers for up to three days in an airtight container in the fridge. Reheat french toast on a hot skillet before serving.
Substitutions & Swaps
- Gluten-free. Use gluten-free all-purpose flour and gluten-free crusty bread.
- Other seasonings. Feel free to use a different flavor extract if you like, such as orange, lemon or almond. You can also substitute the cinnamon with cardamom, nutmeg or pumpkin pie spice.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Please leave a comment and a ⭐ star review below!
Vegan French Toast
- 1 cup non-dairy milk see notes
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 slices bread see notes
- Whisk together the non-dairy milk, flour, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl. Pour into a shallow dish, like a wide bowl or pie dish.
- Heat a pan on medium heat. Add some vegan butter or oil to the pan. I use about a tablespoon of butter and add more butter while cooking additional slices.
- Working with 2 bread slices at a time, dip each slice into the mixture on both sides. When using a sturdy bread, I like to gently shake each side in the mixture for about 5 seconds so it soaks in. If using sandwich bread, a quick dip will work.
- Once the pan is hot, cook each slice of french toast on both sides until golden brown. Repeat with remaining slices.
- Serve warm with your favorite toppings.
- I like using extra creamy oat milk for this recipe, but you can use any unsweetened, plain non-dairy milk.
- The best bread to use is something sturdy like french bread.