French onion soup is so luscious and rich – and this alternative healthy, vegan french onion soup is no exception!
Healthy, Vegan French Onion Soup Recipe
I used to love the idea of french onion soup – but all those onions sent a chill up my spine. The broth is just so rich and delicious, the bread is just…well, it’s bread. I’m DOWN for bread. Top anything with cheese and I’ll try my best to love it. But onions? It took me a long time to really appreciate onions.
I say “a long time” like I’ve been on this earth for 200 years instead of 25, but still.
Now though, count me in. I’m ALL ABOUT the onion.
Classic french onion soup is made with beef broth and topped with dairy cheese – but we’re stepping away from the animal products so I had to come up with a vegan recipe for french onion soup that was just as rich and amazing as the classic winter dish.
TBH, I got this recipe right on the first try. Which, let me tell you, is a rarity. The second I tasted the broth, I nearly cried. Just kidding. Kinda. (I definitely DID cry while cutting all those onions though.)
Anyway, since then, I’ve basically had a nonstop craving for this soup. Good thing it’s pretty healthy, right?
The key to making this soup is a touch of soy sauce OR coconut aminos (which is soy-free if you prefer to stay away from it). I’ve tried it both ways, and it’s equally amazing. That deep flavor really kicks this recipe up a notch.
Vegan Cheese Topping
Back when my son was an infant, I had to cut out dairy because he was allergic to it and I was breastfeeding him. I thought giving it up would be difficult, and it really wasn’t too bad. Especially when I discovered Chao cheese – it’s soy based but seriously SO GOOD. I love making grilled cheese with it, and it tops this french onion soup so beautifully. It gets melty just like dairy cheese does.
However, if you’re not crazy about Chao or can’t have soy, I stumbled across this vegan mozzarella cheese recipe that looks amazing (if you try it, let me know how it is!)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups yellow onions sliced to the size you prefer
- 5 cups veggie stock
- 1/4 cup dry white wine optional
- 1/2 - 1 tablespoon soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 sage leaf
- few sprigs of fresh thyme
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bread of choice about 2 cups worth, cut into 1 inch cubes (I prefer a seeded or multigrain type)
- Vegan cheese
SOUP PART 1 - STOVE
- In a soup pot, add olive oil and onions. Cook on medium heat until onions become translucent.
- Add in garlic and saute for 5 additional minutes.
- Stir in veggie stock, wine, soy sauce/coconut aminos, sage, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Taste test - add a little more soy sauce/coconut aminos at a time if needed. Be careful not to add too much as it can be overpowering.
- Remove fresh herb sprigs and discard.
SOUP PART 2 - BROILER
- Heat the broiler. Add soup into individual, oven safe bowls.
- Top with bread cubes and vegan cheese of choice.
- Broil for about 4-5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and has begun to brown a little.
- Serve hot!