This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. See my disclosure policy.
Perfectly sweet and deliciously moist vegan banana bread. This is an easy recipe to make, requiring only 15 minutes of prep time!
Craving a sweet and simple snack or dessert? A little dairy-free butter smeared on top of a warm slice of banana bread might be just what you need!
The best part about this vegan banana bread – besides its tastiness – is how easy it is to make! Sure, I love buying the banana bread from Trader Joe’s, but making it at home is far more convenient than running to the store.
You can whip the batter up in about 15 minutes and then all you need to do is sit back, let your house fill with the wonderful scent of warm bananas, and let it bake.
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (organic sugar is vegan)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup softened vegan butter (I prefer Earth Balance)
- 1¾ cup mashed bananas (about 4 really ripe bananas)
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- optional add-ins: 1/2 cup of chopped nuts or chocolate chips
The first step to baking banana bread is making the flax egg. Simply mix together ground flaxseed and water, then set aside for about 10 minutes or until the mixture is gelatinous.
Next step – mash up some bananas. The best bananas to use are overripe bananas with a good amount of brown spots. But, you can still use ripe yellow bananas with no spots. Mash the bananas with a fork until there are minimal chunks left.
In a large bowl, mix together granulated sugar, brown sugar, and softened vegan butter. I prefer to use a hand mixer for this, to achieve a fluffy texture.
Mix the flax eggs, mashed banana, and vanilla extract into the bowl with the sugar.
In a separate bowl, combine the flour and baking soda. Then, fold the flour into the banana mixture until just combined.
At this point, you can also fold in some nuts or chocolate chips!
Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 50-60 minutes. Remove the banana bread from the oven and let cool for about 15 minutes. To loosen the bread from the pan, give it a few good taps on the counter and/or run a knife along the edges.
Turn the banana bread out and let cool on a wire rack. Slice with a serrated knife and serve with some vegan butter!
Can I Make This Recipe Oil-Free?
Yes, you can leave out the vegan butter and increase the amount of mashed bananas to 2 cups. Instead of creaming the butter and sugar, simply mix the sugar into the mashed bananas.
What About Gluten-Free?
I have not tested this vegan banana bread recipe with gluten-free flour yet, though I suspect a 1:1 flour will work fine.
⭐ Did you make this recipe? ⭐
Please leave a comment and a star review below.
Easy Vegan Banana Bread
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F and grease a loaf pan.
- Mix together the flaxseed and water. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar.
- Mix the mashed bananas, vanilla extract, and flax egg into the bowl with the sugar.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour and baking soda.
- Fold the flour mixture into the banana mixture until incorporated. At this point, you can also fold in some nuts or chocolate chips.
- Pour into the greased loaf pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- After removing from the oven, let the bread cool for about 15 minutes and then remove from the pan. I usually give my pan a few good taps on the counter to loosen it up. Then let cool on rack.
More Sweet Vegan Snack Recipes: