This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. See my disclosure policy.
Slightly-sweet vegan chocolate muffins loaded with chocolate chips. Perfect to cure a chocolate craving!
When I crave a chocolate muffin, it's mostly because I am craving chocolate. So let me be straight up - these are not your whole-grain, low-fat, fruit-filled muffins that are great for breakfast. These are slightly-sweet, get-your-chocolate-fix snack or dessert chocolate muffins. They are like a muffin-cupcake hybrid - they have less sugar and are slightly more dense than a cupcake.
And they are LOADED with vegan chocolate chips. I added most of the chocolate chips into the batter but saved some to sprinkle on top. SO damn good.
If you want to totally omit the chocolate chips (can't relate), they will still turn out good!
You can find the full, detailed recipe in the recipe card below.
- Soy milk: Or any non-dairy milk
- Apple cider vinegar
- Ground flaxseed + water: This creates a "flax egg"
- Vegan butter: For the vegan butter, I have a couple favorite brands - Earth Balance and Melt. I was a super loyal Earth Balance fan until I tried Melt. They are both super delicious. If you want to make these muffins lower in fat, you can try substituting more applesauce in place of the vegan butter. Just note that they will come out more dense than the original recipe.
- Unsweetened applesauce
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Organic sugar: Organic ensures that it's vegan - not all sugar is vegan.
- Cocoa powder
- Baking soda
- Chocolate chips: I really love the Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips (which are also super allergy-friendly) but you can use your favorite - here are some vegan chocolate chip brands if you're on the hunt.
This recipe makes about 12 muffins - but admittedly, there was a little batter left in the bowl so you might be able to whip up a few more muffins.
Serve these vegan chocolate muffins with some strawberries and a tall glass of homemade almond milk. Berries and chocolate are such a fabulous combination. That's a complete meal if you ask me.
Vegan Double Chocolate Muffins
- 1 cup soy milk (plain unsweetened) or any non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 4 tablespoons water
- ½ cup melted vegan butter room temp
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup organic sugar
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Add baking cups into a muffin tin.
- Mix together the soy milk and apple cider vinegar in a medium-sized bowl.
- In a small cup, mix together the ground flaxseed and water to make an "egg."
- Set both aside for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder and baking soda.
- Mix the flaxseed mixture into the soy milk bowl, along with the butter, applesauce, and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredient bowl and mix until all ingredients are incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips. I leave some of the chocolate chips out to sprinkle a little on top after filling the muffin pan.
- Fill the baking cups about ¾ full with the muffin batter.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
More Chocolate Vegan Recipes to Try: