This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy.
Sautéed green beans cooked to perfect tenderness with garlic and seasonings.
If I could eat any vegetable for the rest of my life, it would be green beans. Specifically, it would be these garlic sautéed green beans. The flavor and saltiness of the seasoning paired with the slight natural sweetness of a fresh green bean is unmatched.
Sautéing in olive oil or vegan butter allows the green beans to get a little browned, giving a nice coating with the garlic powder and onion powder.
This recipe calls for 6 simple ingredients, plus water to help the green beans tenderize while cooking.
- Garlic powder: I prefer using powdered garlic instead of fresh garlic while sautéing vegetables. Fresh garlic burns very easily.
- Onion powder
- Salt and pepper: I include measurements in the recipe card, but you can use these to taste.
- Olive oil
See recipe card for quantities.
Trying to go vegan? Sign up for our (FREE) Vegan Beginner's Guide!
First, rinse the green beans. Pat dry. Trim off the ends. You can also cut into smaller pieces if you prefer.
Heat oil in a skillet. Add in the green beans and seasoning. Sauté until the beans just begin to brown in some places. Add in the water, cover with a lid, and continue to cook until tender.
- Oil-free: Instead of sautéing in olive oil, simply use water.
- Vegan butter is a great option to replace olive oil.
- For green beans with a spicy kick, add in a dash of chili oil or some red pepper flakes.
- Frozen green beans: I make this recipe frequently with frozen beans instead of fresh. I find that you don't need to use as much water. Start with one tablespoon of water and add more as needed.
I recommend using a good nonstick skillet or cast iron pan for this recipe.
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Vegan Dinners eBook
- 21 Dinner Recipes
- 8 Bonus Recipes
- 2-Week Meal Plan
- Taco Casserole
- Sweet Potato Chili
- "Cheesy" Potato Burritos
- ...and way more!
See more vegan side dishes here.
Garlicky Sautéed Green Beans
- Heat large skillet with oil on medium heat.
- Add in green beans and toss in garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Sauté until the green beans just begin to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the water and cover with a lid. Continue to cook until green beans are tender, about 5-10 more minutes. Add more water if needed.
- If using frozen green beans, reduce the amount of water used. Start with 1 tablespoon and add more as needed.