This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. See my disclosure policy.
Easy vegan refried beans made in about 10 minutes with 6 simple ingredients.
Homemade refried beans are a low-effort side dish to accompany many meals like tacos, quesadillas, enchiladas, and more. This recipe is also great as a snack with some tortilla chips.
Sometimes when I have leftovers, I will mix together leftover taco meat, these refried beans, and rice for an easy lunch.
Traditional refried beans contain lard, which is an animal-derived fat. This homemade version is totally lard-free!
Ingredients for Vegan Refried Beans
6 ingredients, including water, are used to make these vegan refried beans without lard.
- Pinto beans: These are the traditional beans for refried beans.
- Oil: For sautéing purposes. You can leave out the oil and sauté with water.
- Onion: I use a white onion.
- Garlic: Fresh garlic cloves, minced.
- Water: Use as much as you need to achieve the desired consistency. I start out with a little and work my way up.
- Salt: As needed. This will vary depending on whether you choose salt-free beans or not.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Trying to go vegan? Sign up for our (FREE) Vegan Beginner's Guide!
In a medium-sized pan on medium-low heat, sauté the chopped onion in oil until translucent. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Add the remaining ingredients to the pan (pinto beans, water, and salt.)
Heat until warm, while mashing with a fork or potato masher until you get your desired consistency. Add more water if needed.
Add optional seasonings and enjoy as desired.
- Black beans can be used in place of pinto beans.
- Instead of fresh garlic and onion, garlic powder and onion powder will work. Use about a teaspoon of each.
- Added seasoning ideas: Lime juice, paprika, chili powder, green chilis, jalapeños. Make the beans as spicy as you'd like!
Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Vegan Dinners eBook
- 21 Dinner Recipes
- 8 Bonus Recipes
- 2-Week Meal Plan
- Taco Casserole
- Sweet Potato Chili
- "Cheesy" Potato Burritos
- ...and way more!
You can use refried beans as a side dish or added into many recipes, like tacos, quesadillas, and more. You can also enjoy as a dip with chips or veggies.
If you are looking for more easy vegan side dishes, try roasted sweet potatoes, homemade baked beans, or grilled corn on the cob.
Vegan Refried Beans
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup onion chopped
- 1 can pinto beans drained and rinsed
- ¼ to ½ cup water
- ¼ teaspoon salt or to taste
- optional seasonings: paprika and lime juice
- In a medium-sized pan on medium-low heat, sauté the chopped onion in oil until translucent.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pan (pinto beans, water, and salt.)
- Heat until warm, while mashing with a fork or potato masher until you get your desired consistency. Add more water if needed. Add optional seasonings.
leave a comment