This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy.
Easy vegan refried beans made in about 10 minutes with 6 simple ingredients.
Homemade refried beans are a low-effort side dish to accompany many meals like tacos, quesadillas, enchiladas, and more. This recipe is also great as a snack with some tortilla chips.
Traditional refried beans contain lard, which is an animal-derived fat. This homemade version is totally lard-free!
Ingredients for Vegan Refried Beans
6 ingredients, including water, are used to make these vegan refried beans without lard.
- Pinto beans: These are the traditional beans for refried beans.
- Oil: For sautéing purposes. You can leave out the oil and sauté with water.
- Onion: I use a white onion.
- Garlic: Fresh garlic cloves, minced.
- Water: Use as much as you need to achieve the desired consistency. I start out with a little and work my way up.
- Salt: As needed. This will vary depending on whether you choose salt-free beans or not.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Trying to go vegan? Sign up for our (FREE) Vegan Beginner's Guide!
In a medium-sized pan on medium-low heat, sauté the chopped onion in oil until translucent. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Add the remaining ingredients to the pan (pinto beans, water, and salt.)
Heat until warm, while mashing with a fork or potato masher until you get your desired consistency. Add more water if needed.
Add optional seasonings and enjoy as desired.
- Black beans can be used in place of pinto beans.
- Instead of fresh garlic and onion, garlic powder and onion powder will work. Use about a teaspoon of each.
- Added seasoning ideas: Lime juice, paprika, chili powder, green chilis, jalapeños. Make the beans as spicy as you'd like!
Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Vegan Dinners eBook
- 21 Dinner Recipes
- 8 Bonus Recipes
- 2-Week Meal Plan
- Taco Casserole
- Sweet Potato Chili
- "Cheesy" Potato Burritos
- ...and way more!
You can use refried beans as a side dish or added into many recipes, like tacos, quesadillas, and more. You can also enjoy as a dip with chips or veggies.
Vegan Refried Beans
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup onion chopped
- 1 can pinto beans drained and rinsed
- ¼ to ½ cup water
- ¼ teaspoon salt or to taste
- optional seasonings: paprika and lime juice
- In a medium-sized pan on medium-low heat, sauté the chopped onion in oil until translucent.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pan (pinto beans, water, and salt.)
- Heat until warm, while mashing with a fork or potato masher until you get your desired consistency. Add more water if needed. Add optional seasonings.