This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. See my disclosure policy.
The best quick and easy vegan gravy that you can make in just 5 minutes!
Learn how to make vegan gravy with this tasty recipe.
Gravy is one of those recipes that seems more complicated than it actually is. There are so many variations! The thickener to liquid ratio, what kind of thickener to use, what and how much seasoning to use, to make a roux or not, etc.
In actuality, gravy is pretty easy to make. This version uses flour as a thickener - but we actually are not making a roux because no (vegan) butter or oil is used. Don't worry though, this gravy still turns out creamy and flavorful!
You can find the full recipe, including ingredient amounts and instructions in the recipe card below.
You only need a few simple ingredients to make the best vegan gravy recipe.
- Vegetable stock: Grab some from the store or make your own. My favorite cheap way to achieve vegetable stock is by using vegetable bouillon paste-like Better Than Bouillon.
- Flour: All-purpose flour to thicken the gravy.
- Garlic: The recipe calls for fresh cloves, but you can also use 1 teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Onion powder
- Soy sauce: This helps give the gravy an umami flavor. See the section on substitutions if you cannot have soy.
- Sage & thyme: Classic savory spices.
- Vegetable bouillon: There are tons of vegetable bouillon options there! Two of my favorites: Not Chick'n Bouillon Cubes (this makes for the perfect vegan chicken gravy) and the paste I linked above next to the vegetable stock bullet point. You can also use a teaspoon or two of Trader Joe's Vegan Chicken-less Seasoning Salt.
- Salt and pepper to taste
Trying to go vegan? Sign up for our (FREE) Vegan Beginner's Guide!
This method could not be any easier!
Simply add all ingredients into a medium-sized pot. Whisk really well - until the flour is fully dissolved.
Bring to a simmer on medium heat for a few minutes, until the gravy is warm and thick. Season with salt and pepper as needed. If you want a richer flavor, add more soy sauce.
Vegan Dinners eBook
- 21 Dinner Recipes
- 8 Bonus Recipes
- 2-Week Meal Plan
- Taco Casserole
- Sweet Potato Chili
- "Cheesy" Potato Burritos
- ...and way more!
Substitutions & Adaptations
Can I Make This Gravy Gluten-Free?
Yes! Simply use a 1-to-1 gluten-free flour blend in place of the flour. Or, use 2 tablespoons of cornstarch.
How Can I Make It Soy-Free?
You can use coconut aminos instead of soy sauce. Or, simply leave it out and add a little more bouillon for additional flavor.
Make-Ahead and Storage Tips
Although this gravy is super quick and easy to make, you can make it ahead of time if needed. Simply store the gravy in the fridge, then heat it back up on the stove or in the microwave.
To store the leftovers, place the gravy in an airtight container in the fridge. It will last about 3 days. You can also freeze the gravy for up to 3 months.
Scaling the Recipe
I definitely recommend doubling or even tripling the recipe if you're serving more than 4 people.
Simply use a larger pot and account for more time on the stove. It may take a couple of extra minutes to heat up.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Please leave a comment and a ⭐ star review below!
Easy Vegan Gravy
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon sage
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- 1 veggie bouillon cube
- Pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- Add all ingredients into a medium-sized pot. Whisk until flour is fully dissolved.
- Heat on medium heat. Bring to a simmer.
- Let simmer for about 3 minutes, whisking frequently.