This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy.
This cajun-seasoned vegan broccoli alfredo recipe will rock your world. Get out your blender, your roasting pan, and your favorite pasta.
Vegan alfredo is delicious on its own, but add this broccoli made with cajun seasoning and it will knock your socks off.
The creamy sauce paired with the spicy broccoli is a wonderful combination, in both taste and texture. The alfredo sauce is simple to make in a blender and just happens to be oil-free and gluten-free. Roasting the broccoli allows it to have slightly-crispy edges and soak up all the spices.
I love adding veggies to my pasta dishes to add an extra serving of veggies and more nutrients. You can enjoy your indulgent pasta guilt-free!
This alfredo recipe uses cashews to get that creamy, thick sauce texture.
- pasta of choice: I prefer fettuccine when making alfredo.
- Soaked cashews in boiling water. Soaking cashews in water helps to soften the cashews, making them easier to blend and make a smooth sauce.
- Non-dairy milk: Use your favorite unsweetened, plain milk. I prefer oat milk.
- Cornstarch: This helps to thicken the sauce.
- Nutritional yeast: Adds a "cheesy" flavor (and extra protein!)
- Lemon juice: A little acidity brightens up the sauce.
- Onion powder, salt, and pepper to season.
- Broccoli florets: I recommend using fresh for this recipe but frozen will work.
- Cajun seasoning: Garlic powder, paprika, salt, onion powder, cayenne pepper, thyme, red pepper flakes, and black pepper.
- Water for oil-free roasting.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Trying to go vegan? Sign up for our (FREE) Vegan Beginner's Guide!
Your first step will be to soak the cashews. You can soak them in water overnight, or utilize a quick method if you're short on time. My favorite way is to use the microwave. Add the cashews and enough water to cover them to a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 2 minutes, then let them sit in the water for 20 minutes. Drain.
Blend all alfredo ingredients, including the drained cashews, until super smooth. Pour mixture into a sauce pan and warm on medium heat until the sauce thickens.
As for the broccoli, prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper for oil-free roasting. Toss all ingredients together in a bowl until the broccoli is well coated. Spread onto the baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
Toss alfredo sauce with broccoli and pasta of choice and serve!
Substitutions and Variations
- Cajun seasoning mix: If you prefer to purchase a premixed cajun seasoning instead of making your own, use 2 teaspoons.
- Other seasoning: Cajun not your thing? No worries! You can toss the broccoli with the recommended amounts of garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper instead.
- Vegetable: Any vegetable would work in this recipe! Steamed peas, roasted carrots, and asparagus are all great options.
- Nutritional yeast: You can simply omit this ingredient.
- Chicken: Adding in some vegan chick'n is a great way to incorporate more protein!
Vegan Broccoli Alfredo
- pasta of choice cooked
- First, the cashews need to be softened. See this article on how to soak cashews. My go-to method is to add the cashews and enough water to cover them to a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 2 minutes, then let them sit in the water for 20 minutes. Drain.
- Blend all alfredo ingredients, including the drained cashews, until super smooth.
- Pour mixture into a sauce pan and warm on medium heat until the sauce thickens.
- Preheat oven to 400℉ and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss all ingredients together in a bowl until the broccoli is well coated.
- Spread broccoli out onto the baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
- Toss alfredo sauce with broccoli and pasta of choice and serve!