This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy.
Easy vegan buffalo sauce made in less than 10 minutes.
Vegan buffalo sauce is super easy to make, thanks to vegan butter. Just grab your favorite hot sauce!
Recipes to use buffalo sauce in:
You only need 4 simple ingredients to make vegan buffalo sauce. See the recipe card below for the full recipe.
- Hot sauce: I use Frank's Red Hot (did you know Frank's was the original hot sauce used in the original chicken wings made in Buffalo, NY?!)
- Vegan butter: Use your favorite! I like Earth Balance. You could also use coconut oil if you prefer, but note that the coconut flavor does come through. For an oil-free version, see the section on substitutions.
- Vinegar: White vinegar or apple cider vinegar will work.
- Sugar: I like adding a touch of sweetness to my buffalo sauce - it adds some balance and depth. You can also use agave or maple syrup.
Adaptations & Substitutions
- Oil-free version: Omit the vegan butter. Along with the remaining ingredients, blend ¼ cup of water and ¼ cup of soaked and drained cashews. There is no need to heat this version.
- Garlic: Add a teaspoon or two of garlic if you're a garlic-lover like me.
- Vegan Worcestershire sauce: Most classic buffalo sauce recipes call for Worcestershire sauce. I left it out of this recipe because not all grocery stores carry a vegan version. But Worcestershire sauce does add a lovely flavor depth. You can add 2 teaspoons.
- Less spicy: Love buffalo sauce, but don't want your mouth to be on fire? Reduce the amount of hot sauce to ⅓ or ¼ cup.
- More spice: Add ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper for an extra kick.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Please leave a comment and a ⭐ star review below!
Vegan Buffalo Sauce
- ½ cup hot sauce like Frank's Red Hot
- ½ cup vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon vinegar white or apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- All ingredients to a saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer on medium-low heat, then remove from heat.
- Let the sauce cool. Pour into a container or jar and store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.