This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy.
Super moist, easy vegan zucchini bread for all of your breakfast and snacking needs. Bake it with some chocolate chips or nuts for extra deliciousness.
I love snack breads (or "quick breads"/yeast-free bread) like banana bread and this vegan zucchini bread! They are so easy to make and a great way to use excess produce - if you have a garden and grow an abundance of zucchini, this bread is the perfect way to use it up!
Zucchini adds little flavor but tons of moisture. For this recipe, there is no need to squeeze or drain any excess liquid from the zucchini. I'm not a fan of that extra step, so when I developed my own recipe, I made sure it was as easy as possible.
Zucchini bread can pass as a snack, dessert, and even breakfast. Smear some butter, peanut butter, or jam on top for added deliciousness.
- All-purpose flour: You can also use a combination of whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour in this vegan zucchini bread. See the section on variations for more information.
- Baking powder and baking soda: Leavening agents.
- Cinnamon and nutmeg: Delicious flavor!
- Shredded zucchini: No need to squeeze out any excess liquid after shredding! We want that added moisture.
- Flax egg: Made by mixing together ground flaxseed and water. After the mixture sits for 5-10 minutes, it will become thick and jelly-like. It's a great vegan egg substitute in baking.
- Non-dairy milk: I like to use oat milk or cashew milk in baking.
- Brown sugar: We'll be using just enough sugar to add a touch of sweetness. This bread isn't overly sweet. Use organic to make sure it's vegan.
- Melted vegan butter: Adds moisture and salt. Can also use coconut oil.
- Vanilla: Flavor! I always recommend 100% pure vanilla extract.
- Apple cider vinegar: Reacts with the baking soda to help the bread rise & get fluffy.
How to Make Vegan Zucchini Bread
Step 1: Mix together the ground flaxseed and water in a small bowl. Set aside. In another bowl, stir together the wet ingredients: non-dairy milk, brown sugar, melted vegan butter, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla.
Step 2: In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and shredded zucchini. I like to add the zucchini into the dry ingredients to prevent the zucchini from clumping up.
Step 3: Mix the flaxseed mixture into the wet ingredients. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until everything is just incorporated.
Step 4: Fold in any optional add-ins like nuts or chocolate chips.
Step 5: Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan.
Step 6: Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean (some crumbs are fine, but raw batter isn't.)
Variations and Substitutions
- Oil-free: You can omit the vegan butter in this vegan zucchini bread and substitute with applesauce instead.
- Add-ins: Add ½ cup of chocolate chips or your favorite nuts! Or both.
- Gluten-free: I have not tested this with gluten-free flour yet, but have had success with other recipes using Bob's Red Mill 1-to-1 GF flour.
- Whole-wheat flour: If you'd like to use whole-wheat, I recommend using a combination of 50% all-purpose flour and 50% whole-wheat flour (so, that's ¾ cup of each for this recipe.)
- Vegan butter: You can substitute coconut oil or canola oil for the vegan butter.
Storing & Freezing
- Storage: Because this bread contains no preservatives, it is best to store leftovers in an airtight container or resealable bag in the fridge. It will keep up to 3 days or so.
- Freeze: Yes, you can totally freeze zucchini bread! This is a great option if you want to double the recipe and make 2 loaves. Wrap the cooled loaf in plastic wrap or foil then put it in a freezer bag. Freeze for up to 3 months. To thaw, put it in the fridge. It may take a day or so to completely thaw.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Please leave a comment and a ⭐ star review below!
Vegan Zucchini Bread
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a loaf pan (or line with parchment paper.)
- Mix together the flax seed and water in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl, stir together the wet ingredients: non-dairy milk, brown sugar, melted vegan butter, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla.
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and shredded zucchini.
- Mix the flaxseed mixture into the wet ingredients. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Stir in optional add-ins. Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean (some crumbs are fine, but raw batter isn't.)
- Let cool for about 30 minutes before removing from the pan.