This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. See my disclosure policy.
Make the creamiest Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup with carrots and coconut milk for a comforting, cheesy dinner without any dairy!
Cheesy soups just taste like comfort. They're hot, silky smooth and so satisfying. And the good news is that with this recipe for vegan broccoli cheese soup, vegans or anyone avoiding dairy can still enjoy the warming experience of sipping a homemade cheddar-broccoli soup!
This is a crowd-pleasing and kid-approved dinner recipe. If you feel like bringing the restaurant experience home, serve your vegan soup in bread bowls. Or, for a bit of crunch, top each bowl with croutons. You simply can't go wrong with a bowl of cheesy goodness on a chilly night (or any time of year!).
This soup gets tons of flavor and a rich, thick texture by starting with a roux. This is just a simple combination of cooked butter and flour, but it does wonders to build the most flavorful soup. Plus, carrots and broccoli bring freshness and extra color!
Reminder: A detailed description of the steps and instructions is available in a printable recipe card below!
- Coconut milk: This recipe calls for full-fat, canned coconut milk. It adds a rich flavor and texture to the soup. Because of the other flavors, I don't find this recipe has a strong coconut flavor. However, you can substitute it with more non-dairy milk, like extra creamy oat milk. For a slighter lighter body to your soup, you can also use light coconut milk.
- Vegan butter: I use Earth Balance vegan buttery sticks. See below for how to make this soup oil-free.
- Onion: This acts as a savory flavor base to the soup.
- Garlic: Like the onion, you'll infuse the cheesy vegan soup with delicious allium flavor.
- Nutritional yeast: This is my favorite way to make cheesy vegan dishes. It's nutty and creamy and a must-have ingredient for dairy-free eaters!
- Broccoli: Be sure not to overcook your broccoli in the soup. It should be bright green and crisp-tender.
- Carrots: I like to add a bit more texture and color with fresh carrots in the soup.
- Vegetable broth: Use store-bought or homemade broth.
- Plant-based milk: Use your favorite dairy-free milk. Just be sure it's unsweetened and unflavored. Almond, soy, oat, or cashew will all work well.
- Dijon mustard: This secret ingredient plays two roles. First, it adds a bit of bright, vinegary flavor to the cheesy soup. And it also enhances the cheesy color!
- Paprika: Just a dash adds a hint of spice without overwhelming the rest of the soup. You can use sweet or smoked paprika depending on your preference.
- Flour: You'll make a simple roux with vegan butter and all-purpose flour to thicken the vegan broccoli cheese soup. If you're avoiding gluten, see below for a simple swap to make this recipe gluten-free. Be sure to use organic flour to ensure it's vegan.
Substiutions & Swaps
- Gluten-free vegan cheese soup: You can either use a gluten-free flour blend like Bob's Red Mill 1-to-1 GF flour or make a slurry with cornstarch instead of using flour to thicken to the soup.
- To make a cornstarch slurry: Whisk 3 tablespoons of cornstarch with equal parts non-dairy milk or water. Stir the slurry into your soup just before you remove it from the heat.
- Oil-free: Saute the onion in vegetable broth instead of vegan butter. Start with about a ¼ cup and add more as needed. Because you need vegan butter to make a roux, thicken the soup with the cornstarch slurry described above.
Trying to go vegan? Sign up for our (FREE) Vegan Beginner's Guide!
Store leftover cheesy vegan broccoli cheddar soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days. Reheat on the stove or in the microwave.
I don't recommend freezing the soup, as the broccoli is likely to overcook when it's thawed and reheated.
⭐Did you make this recipe?⭐
Please leave a comment and a star review below.
Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 small yellow onion - chopped
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (16-ounce) can coconut milk - full-fat
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups non-dairy milk - plain, unsweetened
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups broccoli florets - cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup julienned carrots
- salt to taste
- Melt butter in a large soup pot on medium heat.
- Saute onions until translucent. Add garlic and saute for an additional 2 minutes.
- Whisk in flour.
- Whisk in the can of coconut milk until smooth. Stir in the vegetable broth, non-dairy milk, nutritional yeast, dijon mustard, paprika, and pepper.
- Bring to a gentle simmer.
- Stir in broccoli and carrots. Simmer on low heat until the broccoli is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Season with salt to taste and serve.