This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. See my disclosure policy.
Learn how to make homemade vegan feta cheese that is creamy, crumbly, tangy, and perfect to replace dairy in your favorite Greek recipes.
One thing many new vegans miss is the range of cheese options. Now, feta cheese is one that you do not have to miss any more!
This recipe for vegan feta cheese takes all of the flavors you love in the classic Mediterranean goat's cheese, without the animal products. Instead, firm tofu soaks up savory and tangy flavors to become cheesy and delicious. You're going to love this simple way to make homemade vegan feta cheese!
To make vegan feta with tofu, the key is a deeply flavorful marinade. Use savory dried spices to infuse the tofu with flavor! Reminder: You can find the printable, detailed recipe in the recipe card below.
- Tofu. Choose firm tofu for the best texture.
- Olive oil. See below for how to make oil-free feta.
- Lemon juice and red wine vinegar. Together, these two acids add brightness and tang just like real feta.
- Garlic and onion powder. These seasonings won't overpower your feta marinade but add a nice savory hint.
- Oregano and basil. Use dried herbs instead of fresh to get the most potent flavor.
- Nutritional yeast. This is a must-have ingredient that adds serious cheesy flavor to any vegan recipe.
Why Do I Need to Press the Tofu?
In this recipe, you don't press the tofu to change the texture. Instead, you want to squeeze out as much water from the tofu so that the protein can absorb your deliciously flavored marinade. As a result, the tofu will taste much more like feta.
To press tofu, you can use a storebought press like this one or DIY it. Simply place the block of tofu between two towels, then place something heavy on top like a cast iron pan.
I usually start out with a lighter pan, then switch it out with my heavier cast iron plan after 15 minutes or so. Pressing too much too fast can cause the sides of the tofu to bulge out. I typically press for a total of 30 minutes.
Substitutions and Swaps
- Oil-free vegan feta recipe: Replace the olive oil with more water.
- Other herbs. If you do not have basil or oregano, you can substitute one for the other. The same goes for garlic and onion powder.
Enjoy in a Vegan Greek Salad!
⭐Did you make this recipe?⭐
Please leave a comment and a star review below.
Vegan Feta Cheese
- Cut the pressed tofu into cubes (½ to 1-inch cubes, depending on your preference.) Place the tofu into a container. I prefer a shallow container so the tofu can sit in the marinade in one layer.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the marinade: olive oil, water, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, garlic powder, onion powder, basil, oregano, and salt.
- Pour the marinade over the tofu. Cover. Let sit in the fridge for at least 1 hour, flipping halfway. Tofu can also marinate overnight.
- This tofu feta can last in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.