This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy.
Vegan onion gravy made with caramelized onions.
Step up your gravy game with vegan onion gravy! Some recipes call for simply sautéing onions, and while you can absolutely do that, I like to take some extra time and caramelize the onions. It adds depth of flavor with both sweet and savory elements.
- Oil or vegan butter
- Onions: Vidalia or yellow onions.
- Brown sugar: Regular sugar will work, too.
- Flour: All-purpose flour.
- Vegetable broth
- Soy sauce: Adds salt and umami flavor.
See recipe card for quantities.
Trying to go vegan? Sign up for our (FREE) Vegan Beginner's Guide!
Caramelizing onions can take a long time, but we're speeding up the process by adding brown sugar. Some might call this a cheater method, but I'm all about making things quicker in the kitchen.
Add oil, onions, and brown sugar to a cast iron pan.
Cook until onions are caramelized on medium-low heat. Stir frequently.
Mix in the flour.
Whisk in the vegetable stock, soy sauce, and pepper.
Bring to a simmer on low heat for 3 minutes before serving.
Keep an eye on your onions! Adjust the heat as needed, scrape the pan, and stir them frequently to avoid burning. Caramelizing may take more or less time than what is specified in the recipe card. This is due to variations in pan size, heat, and the type of onions you are using.
- Quick Method: You can sauté the onions instead of caramelizing them in you are short on time. Add the onions to the oil and cook until they are translucent, about 10 minutes. Whisk in the flour and continue on with the recipe.
- Gluten-free: Simply substitute the flour with gluten-free 1-to-1 flour, like Bob's Red Mill.
I recommend using a large stainless steel pan or cast iron pan for this vegan onion gravy recipe. Those are best for caramelizing onions. You can absolutely use a non-stick if that is what you are working with, it just won't create as many crispy bits in the pan.
Store any leftover gravy in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Vegan Dinners eBook
- 21 Dinner Recipes
- 8 Bonus Recipes
- 2-Week Meal Plan
- Taco Casserole
- Sweet Potato Chili
- "Cheesy" Potato Burritos
- ...and way more!
Vegan Onion Gravy
- Add oil, onions, and brown sugar to a cast iron pan (or another type of pan with a thick bottom.)
- Cook until onions are caramelized on medium-low heat. This can take anywhere from about 35-55 minutes. Adjust the heat as needed to prevent burning. You will need to stir more frequently as the onions cook down, to prevent burning.
- Mix in the flour. Then whisk in the vegetable stock, soy sauce, and pepper. Bring to a simmer on low heat for 3 minutes before serving.