This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. See my disclosure policy.
Otherwise known as "cream gravy" or "white gravy", this vegan country gravy is easy to make.
This classic southern gravy is traditionally used for country fried chicken and potatoes. Of course, we'll be enjoying it with crispy tofu and vegan mashed potatoes! Or perhaps on top of homemade drop biscuits.
If we have any leftovers, I like to make toast and scoop a healthy helping of country gravy on top (like S.O.S. or chipped beef gravy on toast...without the beef.) So warm and comforting on a chilly morning!
Keep this recipe on hand for the holidays, too. It's a welcome variation to a broth-based gravy like this one.
You only 5 simple ingredients to make a good vegan country gravy.
- Vegan Butter: Use your favorite. I usually use Earth Balance. Or you can use a neutral oil like canola.
- Flour: All-purpose flour.
- Milk: I reach for oat milk because it's neutral and creamier than other types of dairy-free milk. Make sure to use a plain, unsweetened vegan milk.
- Seasoning: Salt and pepper are in the base recipe. You can add smoked paprika, thyme, and/or sage for additional flavor. Adding smoked paprika will give this gravy even more of a "southern" flavor, because bacon grease is sometimes used in the roux of a traditional cream gravy.
Trying to go vegan? Sign up for our (FREE) Vegan Beginner's Guide!
You just need a sauce pan and not even 10 minutes to make this gravy.
Melt vegan butter. Whisk in flour.
Whisk in non-dairy milk and seasonings. Bring to a simmer for 3 minutes.
Safety Tip: Thickened gravy may pop or splatter. Make sure to use a saucepan large enough to account for any bubbling, and to reduce the heat if this occurs.
- Sausage Gravy: This gravy is the perfect base for a vegan sausage gravy. Cook up your favorite vegan sausage. Impossible makes a good one. You can also make TVP ground "beef" and use sausage seasonings (like red pepper flakes and fennel seed.) If it's a fatty sausage, you won't need to use vegan butter or oil. Simply mix in the flour and follow the rest of the recipe.
- Peppered Gravy: Double up on the pepper.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Vegan Dinners eBook
- 21 Dinner Recipes
- 8 Bonus Recipes
- 2-Week Meal Plan
- Taco Casserole
- Sweet Potato Chili
- "Cheesy" Potato Burritos
- ...and way more!
When using flour to thicken gravies, I recommend letting the fat and flour mixture to cook for at least 1 minute before adding in the liquid. This adds a deeper flavor to the gravy and eliminates any raw flour flavor.
Vegan Country Gravy
- ¼ cup vegan butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 3 cups vegan milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- optional add-ins: smoked paprika, sage, thyme, etc.
- In a saucepan, melt vegan butter on low heat.
- Whisk in flour. Let cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in milk, salt, and pepper. Simmer on low for 3 minutes.