You’ll love this vegan-ized classic comfort food dish! This recipe for vegan sausage gravy and biscuits is the perfect weekend breakfast. Or breakfast for dinner!
Vegan Sausage Gravy and Biscuits
Sausage gravy and biscuits is a classic Southern comfort breakfast dish that I used to make pretty regularly when my husband and I first got married. We used to buy the packets of country gravy, Pillsbury biscuits, and Jimmy Dean sausage. Not healthy in the slightest – and definitely not vegan. It was a dish I gave up after adopting a plant-based diet…
Until we went to a local vegan spot for brunch and discovered that vegan sausage gravy and biscuits were not only possible, but incredibly DELICIOUS.
Now, I wouldn’t say this dish is healthy by any means. I use vegan butter in the gravy and the biscuits are made with white flour and vegan butter. But you know what? Sometimes you gotta indulge. And this dish is SO WORTH the indulgence. Especially if you’re trying to impress your meat-eating family and friends.
For the biscuits, I by far prefer drop biscuits. They are simply much easier to make than biscuits you have to roll out and cut. #lazyvegan
To make them, you can either use a pastry cutter or a food processor. Again, I’m lazy, so I like the food processor. Add in all the ingredients except for the buttermilk and pulse until the mixture is sandy. Add in the buttermilk and pulse again until it all comes together. Scoop out using a spoon or an ice cream scoop and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. (full directions are, as always, below.)
The gravy is made using a basic roux, veggie stock, soy sauce, and other seasoning like sage and thyme. Check out my recipe for oil-free gravy if you are being a little more health-conscious. It’s still just as scrumptious.
For the crumbled tempeh sausage, I made a separate recipe post for it here since you can use for it so many dishes. It’s surprisingly very simple to make, and takes this recipe for vegan sausage gravy and biscuits to the NEXT LEVEL. Not a fan of tempeh? You can always dice up some mushrooms and put them in the gravy instead, or there are a ton of vegan sausage products out there.
I promise though, that tempeh sausage is incredible.
Check out more vegan breakfast recipes here.
Vegan Sausage Gravy and Biscuits
Vegan Drop Biscuits
- 1 cup cold almond milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar or: white vinegar / lemon juice
- 2 cups white flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cold vegan butter
Crumbled Tempeh Sausage
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
- Mix together the almond milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside for 5 mins.
- Pulse together flour, baking powder and salt in a food processor. Or whisk by hand.
- Add in vegan butter by the scoopful and pulse until the mixture is a sandy consistency. You can also do this using a pastry cutter.
- Pour in the almond milk mixture and pulse/mix until the dough comes together.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Scoop out the mixture using a large spoon or cookie dough/ice cream scoop. Make the biscuits as even as possible. This recipe will make 8-12 biscuits depending on how large your scoops are.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the biscuits have some golden brown edges.
- Heat up the butter in a pot on medium heat.
- Stir in the flour and let cook for a minute.
- Whisk in the remaining ingredients until the roux has fully dissolved into the stock.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer for 10 minutes, whisking frequently. Remove from heat.
- You can mix the sausage into the gravy or keep it separate.
- Assemble and ENJOY!