This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. See my disclosure policy.
This easy and fudgy vegan chocolate banana bread is dense, naturally sweet, and makes the perfect dairy-free and egg-free breakfast or snack.
If you're headed back to school and are looking for some tasty snacks that aren't highly processed, homemade banana bread is an easy way to satisfy a sweet tooth. This version is packed with rich, chocolatey flavor and happens to be 100% vegan. But the best part is that even non-vegans will crave it. If you love it as much as I think you will, try my classic Easy Vegan Banana Bread recipe next.
Reminder: You can find the entire detailed recipe in the recipe card below.
This vegan chocolate banana bread has classic wet and dry ingredient mixtures, but with a few substitutions for eggs and dairy. Here's what you need to make it:
- White sugar. Choose organic granulated sugar to make sure it's vegan.
- Brown sugar. Again, organic is best. This adds delicious caramel flavor notes to the bread.
- Vegan butter. I like Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks for baking. Let it soften for easy blending.
- Bananas. Choose extra-ripe bananas for the best flavor. You can use a fork or a hand mixter to make it even faster.
- Vanilla. To balance out the rich chocolate flavor.
- All-purpose flour. I use organic flour from King Arthur.
- Cocoa powder. Use unsweetneed cocoa powder so you can control the flavor in your bread.
- Vegan chocolate chips. Because there's never too much chocolate! Look for allergy-friendly chocolate chips - those are usually vegan. Enjoy Life also has vegan ones.
You can serve this vegan banana bread for breakfast, snack, or dessert! For breakfast, add a good smear of peanut butter or on top for protein. Or serve it with some ice cream for dessert.
Ingredient Substitutions and Swaps
- Gluten-free vegan chocolate banana bread: I haven't tested this myself, but you should be able to swap the flour for all-purpose gluten-free blend.
- Mix-in ideas: Add your favorite dried fruit (like raisins, apricots, or cherries) or nuts like walnuts, coconut, or pistachios.
You can store the bread in an airtight container at room temperature for up to five days. Or freeze for up to three months. Defrost the loaf on the counter overnight before serving.
Trying to go vegan? Sign up for our (FREE) Vegan Beginner's Guide!
Did you enjoy this recipe? Please leave a comment and a ⭐ star review below!
Chocolate Banana Bread
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup softened vegan butter
- 1¾ cup ripe, mashed bananas about 4 bananas
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ⅓ cup vegan chocolate chips for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar.
- Mix in the mashed bananas and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda.
- Fold the flour mixture into the banana mixture until incorporated.
- Pour into the greased loaf pan. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- After removing from the oven, let the bread cool for about 30 minutes and then remove from the pan. I usually give my pan a few good taps on the counter to loosen it up. Then let cool completely on rack.
leave a comment