This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. See my disclosure policy.
Whether you're sick or just craving a super tasty vegan soup, this chickpea noodle soup will hit the spot! Healthy, but hearty and filling.
Chickpea Noodle Soup
It's officially spring, so perhaps some people are moving past soup season, but to be honest - I could eat soup on a 90 degree day. My freezer is always stocked with homemade soups, like vegan french onion soup and this chickpea noodle soup, and I crave it at least three times a week!
This recipe is a vegan twist on chicken noodle soup. I love substituting chickpeas for meat to veganize a lot of dishes - curries, stews and soups, in casseroles, and more. I seriously can't keep enough of them in my pantry - between hummus, chickpea meatballs, and using them to top salads. SO GOOD, so versatile!
Chickpeas are chock full of protein at 14.5 grams per cup, and contain a good amount manganese (84% DV), folate (71% DV) and iron (26% DV).
I love noodles in soup, but if you're cutting back on pasta/carbs, this soup is just as scrumptious and flavorful without them. The list of spices called for might seem long, but the right seasoning is what creates an amazing soup. You can, of course, omit what you don't have on hand, just add a little more of another spice.
If you're sick or making this for someone who is, add a little cayenne pepper! It'll clear those sinuses right out. You only need a teeny tiny amount - don't go overboard.
This soup has the classic noodle soup veggies: carrots, celery, and onion! Frozen peas are also a great addition.
However you decide to customize this soup, or not, just make it with love - and those delicious seasonings - and it will be a hit.
If you liked this vegan chickpea noodle soup, come back and leave a review! I love when you guys make my recipes and let me know how much you enjoyed them, or what special touches you included to make them yours.
Chickpea Noodle Soup
- noodles of choice cooked separately according to package
- ¼ cup vegetable stock for sautéing or more
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- ½ onion chopped
- ½ cup celery chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves crushed or minced
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon sage
- ½ teaspoon marjoram
- ½ teaspoon basil
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon thyme
- 3.5 cups veggie stock
- 2.5 cups water
- 2 cans chickpeas drained and rinsed
- optional: pinch of cayenne for an added kick!
- black pepper and salt to taste
- Sauté carrots, onions, and celery in vegetable stock in a large pot on medium heat until onions are translucent. Add more vegetable stock if the pot gets dry.
- Add in garlic and sauté for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add in seasonings (parsley, sage, marjoram, basil, oregano, paprika and thyme.)
- Pour in water, veggie stock, and chickpeas - stir together.
- Bring soup to a boil and then let simmer for 20 minutes. Add in cayenne pepper (OPTIONAL), salt and black pepper to taste.
- When ready to serve, add noodles into individual bowls.
- Store noodles and soup separately in fridge in order to prevent mushy noodles.