This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy.
A basic vegan pizza recipe with homemade pizza dough, flavorful pizza sauce, and your favorite melty vegan cheese.
Homemade Vegan Pizza
Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE to order a good vegan cheese pizza from our local Blaze or MOD Pizza. The drawback is that neither place offers my favorite cheese, so I often make homemade pizza to satisfy my craving.
It’s also just fun to make pizza at home – it’s a great activity to do with your kids or for a date night in. Just last week, my husband and I made a homemade pizza after my son went to bed.
While I like to make my own pizza dough, many fresh store-bought pizza doughs are also vegan. Pick up one of those to make life easier. They’re usually located in the produce or deli areas in grocery stores.
For the sauce, I love making pizza sauce from scratch! Pizza sauce can add contribute a lot of flavor with the right seasoning.
Melty Vegan Cheese
The KEY to a good cheese pizza is…the cheese. Obviously. But that can prove to be a little tricky when you want to make a vegan pizza. Some vegan cheese is just meh and doesn’t really melt. After a LOT of trial and error, I’ve discovered the best kinds of vegan cheese for pizza:
- Miyoko’s Fresh Mozz
- Follow Your Heart Shredded Mozzarella
- 365 Plant-Based Mozzarella
- Violife Mozzarella
- Daiya Mozzarella Cutting Board Shreds
Which is my personal all-time favorite? Miyoko’s! It gets super melty and has such a delicious flavor without that awkward texture you will find in other dairy-free cheese. This is the cheese I used for the photos in this blog post.
To get a photogenic appearance, I took chunks off the cheese wheel, rolled them in my palms, and flattened into round discs – like you’d slice off of a classic mozzarella ball. Totally NOT necessary, but pretty! You can see in the video below that simply slicing the cheese also makes for a lovely pizza.
A cheese pizza is classic, but it’s fun to get creative with other toppings!
- Field Roast Italian Sausage
- Benevolent Bacon
- Cashew bacon bits
- Bell peppers
- Vegan parmesan
- Nutritional yeast
If you are looking for a super quick pizza you can make in minutes, try pizza in a mug!
- Make the pizza dough and sauce according to the individual recipe instructions, linked to in the ingredient list. The pizza dough will make one thick crust pizza or two thin crust pizzas.
- After pre-baking the dough, spread on the sauce and add on your cheese. You can also add your other favorite pizza toppings – some of mine are Field Roast Italian Sausage, soy chorizo, broccoli, and roasted garlic.
- Bake according to the dough instructions, or until the cheese is melty. Some vegan cheese does not get super melty, so it may take some trial and error. I have listed my favorite brands in the post above.
- Remove from the oven and top with fresh herbs and/or parmesan if you'd like.