This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. See my disclosure policy.
These vegan Tofu Tacos are made with savory, spiced tofu crumbles and served in soft tortillas for a healthy alternative for Taco Tuesday. I include an oil-free method for this recipe.
I love lentil tacos...but tofu tacos might be my newest favorite. They're easy to make with only 3 simple ingredients. The end result is very meat-like, flavorful, and tender.
Plus, this is a family-friendly meal that even meat-eaters can appreciate. The tofu has a crumbly texture and easily absorbs the smoky, spicy, and savory flavors of taco seasoning.
It's hard to believe that you get so much flavor from three simple ingredients:
- Tofu. Use extra-firm so it can absorb more flavor. It's also higher in protein.
- Oil. You can use canola or avocado.
- Taco seasoning. You can use your favorite taco seasoning packet, or make homemade taco seasoning.
How to Press Tofu
Tofu Guide: How to Press Tofu
In this resource, you'll learn 2 easy methods.
Methods: Sauté or Bake (Oil-Free)
Start by tossing some pressed, crumbled tofu with taco seasoning and oil (you can omit the oil if you need to.)
- Sauté: Sautéeing is the quickest way to make this vegan taco meat and the method I recommend if you are using oil. Simply add to a pan on medium heat and cook until browned.
- Bake: This is your oil-free method. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Bake at 375°F for about 10 minutes, or until beginning to brown.
Toppings for Vegan Tacos
Serve these savory tacos with your favorite classic toppings. My family loves:
Plus plenty of fresh lime, chopped white onions, and cilantro!
Store leftover tofu taco filling in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days. Assemble your tacos just before serving.
You can also freeze the taco filling for up to three months. Reheat it on the stove before serving.
Trying to go vegan? Sign up for our (FREE) Vegan Beginner's Guide!
Did you enjoy this recipe? Please leave a comment and a ⭐ star review below!
Fun Idea: Serve a vegan taco bar to your family and friends! Include black bean tacos and potato tacos along with an array of toppings for some variety. Vegan crunchwraps are always a hit, too. Or serve as a vegan taco salad instead!
- 1 (14-ounce) block extra firm tofu pressed*
- 1 tablespoon oil can omit for baked method
- 2½ tablespoons taco seasoning
- Chop the pressed tofu into small pieces or crumble with your hands. Toss with the oil (if sautéeing) and taco seasoning.1 (14-ounce) block extra firm tofu, 1 tablespoon oil, 2½ tablespoons taco seasoning
- Heat a pan to medium-low heat. Add in the tofu and sauté until warm and crispy (about 5-8 minutes.)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread the tofu out. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until beginning to brown.
- Assemble your tacos with your favorite toppings.