This breakfast bowl is full of nutritious goodness to start your day – roasted sweet potatoes, kale, and tofu scramble.
Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowl
Making potatoes for breakfast is definitely not something new for me – breakfast hash makes a frequent appearance around here. Sweet potatoes, however, just recently became a breakfast staple for my mornings. Mostly because I LOVE drizzling a vegan cream gravy over them. The combination is so good. Just as good as cream gravy over white potatoes…and maybe better.
If you need some energy in the morning (don’t we all?!) potatoes are the perfect food. Carbs are getting a bad rep these days, but whole carbohydrates (not the processed stuff) are our bodies’ main source of energy. Potatoes are super satisfying without a ton of calories. If you’re drenching them in butter, or frying them up, not so healthy. But on their own, or paired with other nutritious ingredients, they are healthy for you. Potatoes are full of vitamins and minerals. Fiber, protein, potassium, vitamin C, no cholesterol…you get the gist. Moral of the story: Don’t be afraid of potatoes!
Greens are, of course, also super healthy so we are including a good helping of kale alongside our beautiful sweet potatoes. I really need to eat more greens, and roasted kale is one of my favorite ways to incorporate them.
I tossed the sweet potatoes and kale with some aquafaba instead of oil. Aquafaba is simply the liquid in a can of chickpeas. Whenever I use chickpeas, I just save the aquafaba in the fridge or freezer to use later. You can totally omit the aquafaba if you want.
You can leave this sweet potato breakfast bowl as is, but I like to top mine with some vegan cream gravy. I make it oil-free and thicken it using cornstarch (you can substitute arrowroot powder.) Another tasty dressing for sweet potatoes is this maple mustard dressing. I love adding sauce or gravy to my meals just for a little extra somethin’ somethin’, ya know?
To meal prep: Make the tofu scramble and the roasted sweet potato ahead of time. When you’re ready to eat, just throw the pre-roasted sweet potato in the oven with the kale to crisp it back up.
How-To Make a Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowl
- 1/2 batch tofu scramble
Roasted Sweet Potato
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 tbsp aquafaba*
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1/2 tbsp aquafaba
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp cold water
- 2 tsp cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 425F degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Peel and cube sweet potato into bite-sized pieces.
- Toss with aquafaba, pepper, and salt. Spread out on the baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes, flipping half-way.
- Toss the kale with aquafaba, garlic, and salt. Roast in the oven for 5 minutes (I move the sweet potatoes over and put the kale on the same pan for the remaining 5 mins.)
- To make the gravy, add the almond milk, garlic powder, pepper, and salt to a small pot on the stove. Mix the water and cornstarch together in a small bowl, then whisk in with the almond milk. Bring to a simmer on medium heat. Once thickened, it's ready!