This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. See my disclosure policy.
This sweet and savory vegan holiday roast tofu with pineapple-soy glaze is a crowd-pleasing centerpiece for any plant-based holiday spread.
The holiday season is my favorite time to make show-stopping dishes that are as beautiful as they are delicious. And this year, why not place a plant-based dish at the center of your family's table?
This gorgeous glazed roast tofu is perfectly golden and flavorful with a sliceable texture that's every bit as satisfying as meat roast.
The pineapple glaze is a bit sweet, a bit savory, and totally flavor-packed. and by marinating and slow-roasting your tofu, your vegan roast will absorb as much flavor as possible. Serve it with Vegan Cheddar Biscuits and a side of Garlicky Roasted Brussels Sprouts for a well-rounded festive dinner.
As impressive as this vegan holiday roast is to look at, you only need five simple ingredients to pull it off. Read: this is one of the easiest plant-based holiday main dish recipes you'll find. Reminder: you can find the printable, detailed recipe in the recipe card below.
- Extra-firm tofu. Choose the firmest tofu for the best texture on your vegan holiday roast. Firmer tofu contains less water, so it holds up well and absorbs tons of flavor.
- Soy sauce. This adds a totally savory dimension to your glaze that you can't get with salt alone. Soy sauce is also, in my opinion, the best way to add some flavor to the inside of tofu. It soaks it right up!
- Pineapple juice. You can also use orange juice instead of pineapple if you prefer.
- Brown sugar. Always opt for organic sugar to ensure it's vegan.
- Garlic powder. Another must-have savory flavor boost for your glaze.
This dish is best enjoyed hot out of the oven. However, you can store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
An idea for leftovers: Cube up the tofu and toss in any remaining marinade. Store in the fridge for later and enjoy with some rice!
Substitutions & Variations
- Juice: Use orange juice instead of pineapple if you prefer.
- Gluten-free: This recipe is naturally gluten-free if you use tamari instead of soy sauce.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Please leave a comment and a ⭐ star review below!
Enjoy with some vegan dinner rolls for the ultimate festive dinner.
Vegan Holiday Roast (Glazed Tofu)
- 1 (14 oz.) block extra firm tofu
- ½ cup pineapple juice
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Press the tofu for at least 30 minutes. (See notes)
- Score the pressed tofu with a sharp knife in a diagonal pattern. Place tofu in a container.
- Whisk together all of the glaze ingredients in a medium-sized pot.
- Bring to a simmer on medium heat, then reduce to low. Let simmer for 2 minutes.
- Pour about half of the glaze over the tofu. Let marinate for at least 1 hour, flipping halfway and basting with the marinade occasionally. You can also marinate overnight.
- Continue to simmer the remaining glaze for an additional 4-5 minutes, until thickened and reduced by about half (do not cover with lid.)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the tofu from the marinade and place on the baking sheet. Brush with about half of the thickened glaze.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until the edges have browned.
- Brush the remaining glaze on top and enjoy warm!
More Vegan Holiday Recipes:
I am going to try this, on Christmas. One helpful product I found, at our local Asian market, is hard tofu. It is much firmer than extra firm, and I don’t have to press it. It does great for your tofu taco ‘meat’. Looking forward to trying this!
Lee Kaplan says
You can “densify” the tofu block by freezing completely first, then defrosting in the fridge. Then drain and press.
MJ Johnson says
We made this yesterday. It was good, but I think a missing ingredient was a thickening agent. The sauce never did thicken. I would also cut the tofu in half length wise in order for the marinate to soak through. It did have really good taste