This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. See my disclosure policy.
Delicious, easy vegetable pot pie soup! Serve with buttery biscuits for the ultimate comfort food.
Vegan Vegetable Pot Pie Soup
During my pre-vegan days, one of our all-time favorite dinners was chicken pot pie. The comforting, carb-y pie crust filled with all the veggies and classic flavors called my name.
When I went vegan, we simply left the chicken out and subbed in vegetable stock and bam! It tasted pretty much exactly the same. But then, my hang up was the fact that I want to eat it, frequently, but pot pie is truly a labor of love. I didn't want to spend all that time in the kitchen and have the oven on for an hour.
I now know I'm not the first to come up with the idea of vegetable pot pie soup, but I really had no idea it existed when I decided to just eat the filling with a vegan buttermilk biscuit instead of baking it in a pie crust.
The result was glorious. We didn't have to wait forever for the pot pie to bake to enjoy those delicious flavors. And, in my humble opinion, fluffy biscuits beat pie crust ANY DAY of the week.
If you want a lighter dinner, skip the biscuit. But...why would ya? Eat the biscuit. Trust. Thank me later.
How to Make Vegan Pot Pie Soup
Making pot pie soup is basically just making vegetable pot pie filling. First, sauté some veggies (onion, carrots, and celery) in vegan butter or oil. Then, add in the seasonings. Adding the seasoning now really allows those flavors to wake up and POP. I find that garlic, parsley, thyme, sage, and rosemary really capture the classic pot pie flavors.
Stir in some flour. The combination of the vegan butter and flour will create a roux which will thicken your soup a bit. Next, add in your vegetable stock. Give it a good whisk. Add in the cauliflower, potatoes, peas, and green beans or whatever veggies you love. Let the pot simmer until the vegetables are tender.
While the soup is cooking, make the biscuits. These vegan drop biscuits are my absolute favorite and take about 20 minutes to make, start to finish. There are also some vegan store-bought biscuits you could try!
Add the soup to your bowl and top with a biscuit. This is the perfect comfort food dinner to enjoy while bundled up inside on a cold day, watching Netflix. Ahhh.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Please leave a comment and a ⭐ star review below!
Veggie Pot Pie Soup
- ¼ cup vegan butter - or oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- ¾ cup diced carrots - about 3 medium carrots
- ½ cup chopped celery - about 2 stalks
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- ½ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp sage
- ¼ tsp rosemary
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup chopped cauliflower
- 3 medium red or gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ½ cup frozen green beans
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- drop biscuits to serve with
- Melt vegan butter in a large pot on medium heat.
- Sauté onions, carrot, and celery until onions become translucent.
- Add in garlic, parsley, thyme, sage, and rosemary and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in the flour.
- Whisk in 1 cup of the vegetable stock. Then, whisk in the remaining stock.
- Add the cauliflower, potatoes, peas, and green beans to the pot. Bring to a boil. Then simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve as is or with vegan biscuits.