This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. See my disclosure policy.
Creamy, tangy vegan sour cream made with cashews.
Vegan Sour Cream
Is this really a vegan food blog without a recipe for vegan sour cream? This recipe was inspired/adapted from the dozens of other recipes for cashew sour cream out there – let’s be real! I’ve made it a million times but have never put my own version on my blog.
The ingredients are simple – and you likely have most of them in your kitchen right now. Just raw cashews, lemon juice, ACV, and salt.
The trick to creamy vegan sour cream is to soak some cashews so they get nice and soft. You can do this by covering them in a bowl with water for at least 4 hours (or even overnight.) For a quick method, put the cashews in a microwave-safe bowl, cover with water, then heat for 2 minutes. Let sit for 20 minutes before draining.
If you have a high-powered blender like a Vitamix, soaking may not even be necessary but if you aren’t sure – it will only help!
Variations: Use lime juice instead of lemon juice for a southwestern flair. Take it up a notch and add some chili powder or chipotle powder!
🍉 5-Day Vegan Beginner’s Guide 🥦
Need help with your vegan journey?
Sign up for the (totally free) guide here!
- I don’t have raw cashews, can I use roasted? Yes, you could, but the taste may be a little different. Still tasty, though!
- I’m allergic to nuts – any suggestions? You can replace the cashews with silken tofu and omit the water. There are also a couple of vegan sour cream brands, like Follow Your Heart. If you can only find vega cream cheese, make sour cream out of it by adding some lemon juice and water.
Get a free eBook: Oil-Free Vegan Recipes
- 1 cup raw cashews – soaked and drained
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- pinch of salt
- Blend all ingredients together until smooth.