This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy.
Creamy, tangy vegan sour cream made with cashews.
Vegan Sour Cream
Is this really a vegan food blog without a recipe for vegan sour cream? This recipe was inspired/adapted from the dozens of other recipes for cashew sour cream out there – let’s be real! I’ve made it a million times but have never put my own version on my blog.
The ingredients are simple – and you likely have most of them in your kitchen right now. Just raw cashews, lemon juice, ACV, and salt.
The trick to creamy vegan sour cream is to soak some cashews so they get nice and soft. You can do this by covering them in a bowl with water for at least 4 hours (or even overnight.) For a quick method, bring some water to a boil and pour it over the cashews and let soak for 30-60 minutes.
If you have a high-powered blender like a Vitamix, soaking may not even be necessary but if you aren’t sure – it will only help!
Variations: Use lime juice instead of lemon juice for a southwestern flair. Take it up a notch and add some chili powder or chipotle powder!
- I don’t have raw cashews, can I use roasted? Yes, you could, but the taste may be a little different. Still tasty, though!
- I’m allergic to nuts – any suggestions? You can replace the cashews with silken tofu and omit the water. There are also a couple of vegan sour cream brands, like Follow Your Heart. If you can only find vega cream cheese, make sour cream out of it by adding some lemon juice and water.
- 1 cup raw unsalted cashews, soaked and drained*
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- pinch of salt
- To soak the cashews, you can either soak in water for at least 4 hours in the fridge OR boil some water and pour over cashews and soak for 45 minutes (covered.)
- Drain the cashews. Blend all ingredients together until smooth.