This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. See my disclosure policy.
These decadent vegan pecan pie bars taste like homemade pecan pie, but are quick and easy to make with coconut milk, maple syrup, dairy-free butter and buttery pecans.
Pecan Pie is one of my favorite desserts, especially for the holidays. But when I don't feel like baking a whole pie, I make these vegan pecan pie bars instead! The shortbread crust is much quicker than homemade pie crust.
These dairy-free bars are loved by all ages and make the perfect festive treat for the holidays.
The ingredients for these buttery pecan pie bars are straightforward and probably already in your pantry, especially if you love vegan baking.
- Sugar. Choose organic sugar to ensure it's vegan.
- Brown sugar. This adds a deep, rich caramel flavor to the pie bars.
- Pecans. Choose raw pecans and make sure they're fresh!
- Cinnamon. This spice is a must-have for classic pecan pie flavor, if you ask me.
- Coconut milk. This dairy-free milk has the right amount of creaminess for the filling.
- Vegan butter. I usually use Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks for baking.
- Maple syrup. This adds a delicous mapley flavor to the sweet bars.
- Corn starch. Use corn starch to help thicken the ooey, gooey pecan topping.
- All-purpose flour. You'll need this for the shortbread crust.
- Vanilla. Just a touch of pure vanilla warms up the flavor of your pecan pie bars.
Substitutions and Swaps
- Chocolate Vegan Pecan Bars: Mix in a cup of chocolate chips. Enjoy Life is a vegan and allergy-friendly brand of chocolate chips.
- Gluten-free: I haven't tried it, but you should be able to make the shortbread crust with an all-purpose gluten-free flour blend.
Trying to go vegan? Sign up for our (FREE) Vegan Beginner's Guide!
Store leftover pecan pie bars in an airtight container on the counter for up to four days. Or freeze for up to three months. Defrost the bars at room temperature overnight before serving.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Please leave a comment and a ⭐ star review below!
Vegan Pecan Pie Bars
Vegan Shortbread Crust
- ½ cup vegan butter melted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pecan "Pie" Filling
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk canned
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 cups halved pecans roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease a 9-inch or 8x8 square baking pan.
- Mix together the melted vegan butter, flour, sugar, and vanilla. Press into the bottom of the pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven. Change the oven temperature to 425°F.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the coconut milk, maple syrup, brown sugar, corn starch, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt until the corn starch is dissolved. Add the butter to the pot.
- On medium heat, bring to a simmer, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat as soon as it starts bubbling. At this point, it should be thickened.
- Stir in the pecans.
- Pour the mixture into the pan over the crust.
- Bake for 30 mins, or until the filling appears more firm when jiggled.
- Remove from the oven and let cool before cutting and serving.
Paula Heitman says
I know these will be delicious cause everything you post is. Though I'm wondering if you have tried another kind of non-dairy milk? I try to shy from Coconut Milk because of its saturated fat and health reasons. Do you have a guess? Cashew richer? Oat? Thanks for your time. Keep posting these great recipes.
I haven't, but extra creamy oat milk may work.