This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. See my disclosure policy.
This Vegan Pecan Pie recipe is the best way to finish your holiday meal: flaky pie crust, buttery pecans in a thick and sweet coconut milk custard.
With Thanksgiving and the rest of the holidays right around the corner, I had to bring you this perfect vegan dessert recipe to wow your family and friends.
In fact, I've been so dedicated to this recipe that I've tested the pie 8 times to ensure it's perfect. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have!
The secret to making moist, thick, and decadent vegan pecan pie filling is full-fat coconut milk. It enhances the complex nutty flavors in the pie and adds a whole new level of creaminess that everyone, including non-vegans, can appreciate. Reminder: You can find the printable, detailed recipe in the recipe card below.
- Single pie crust: My dairy-free pie crust recipe is perfectly flaky and turns beautifully golden under the pecan pie filling.
- Full-fat coconut milk: Choose a thick canned variety like Thai Kitchen.
- Maple syrup: This brings some classic sweet maple flavor to this traditional American dessert.
- Brown sugar: As always, choose organic sugar for vegan baking.
- Corn starch: This helps thicken up the easy pie filling quickly for the perfect sticky-sweet texture.
- Vanilla extract: Add a delicious warming note with a dash of pure vanilla.
- Cinnamon: It wouldn't be a classic pecan pie without a sprinkle of comforting cinnamon.
- Vegan butter: I prefer Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks for vegan baking. They taste great and are easy to measure and melt. Use them for the crust for perfect layers too.
- Pecans: This ingredient goes without saying! Be sure to choose raw nuts and roughly chop them for the filling.
Easy vegan pecan pie comes together in one pot on the stove top. You'll simply create a creamy dairy-free caramel-colored sauce packed with chopped pecans.
Pour the filling directly into your unbaked pie crust, crimp the edges however you like, and bake!
If the crust edges start to brown before the center of the pie is fully set, cover just the edges with aluminum foil or a crust guard and continue baking.
My favorite way to serve vegan pecan pie is slightly warm with a generous dollop of whipped cream. There are several tasty store-bought options for vegan whipped cream. I like So Delicious Cocowhip from the freezer section. And there's even a Non-Dairy Reddi-Whip in the dairy section of the grocery store.
For the best flavor and texture, though, I recommend making your own easy coconut whipped cream.
- Gluten-free: This easy vegan pecan pie filling is naturally gluten-free. Simply use your favorite gluten-free and dairy-free pie crust for a fully gluten-free dessert. The almond crust used in this tart recipe is a good alternative.
- Oat Milk: You can use creamy oat milk in place of the coconut milk if you need a substitution. This will yield a slightly more soft filling, but still delicious!
- Bars: Don't want to spend time making pie crust? Try Vegan Pecan Pie Bars instead.
Store leftover pecan pie in an airtight container or tightly wrapped in plastic in the fridge for 2-3 days. You can also store the pie in the freezer for up to 1 month. Defrost overnight in the fridge before serving.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Please leave a comment and a ⭐ star review below!
Vegan Pecan Pie
- Prepare the pie crust and press into a 9-inch pie pan. Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a medium-sized pot, whisk together the coconut milk, maple syrup, brown sugar, corn starch, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt until the corn starch is dissolved. Add the butter to the pot.
- On medium heat, bring to a simmer, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat as soon as it starts bubbling. At this point, it should be thickened.
- Stir in the pecans.
- Pour the filling into the pie pan. Use a spatula or spoon to spread the filling out evenly. Trim and crimp the edges of the dough as desired.
- Bake for 30 mins. Use a pie crust shield or aluminum foil to prevent the edges of the pie crust from burning.
- Remove from the oven and wait at least 30 minutes before serving.