This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. See my disclosure policy.
This easy and creamy Vegan Spinach Dip made with garlic, onion, dairy-free cream cheese and fresh spinach, is a crowd-pleasing and sharable appetizer.
If you ask me, vegetables are best served in a creamy, indulgent dip! And this creamy dairy-free spinach dip is my go-to appetizer, especially for the holidays. Say hello to your new favorite vegan Thanksgiving appetizer!
The best part about making a cold dip like this recipe is that you don't need to make room for your oven next to the stuffing and green bean casserole and vegan roast. This dip is a simple matter of sauteing onions, garlic, and spinach in a pan before mixing it into a mixture of vegan cream cheese and mayo.
Here's what you need to make this simple, veggie-packed vegan dip:
- Cream cheese. You can make your own cream cheese with cashews, or buy it from the store. Pretty much all grocery stores carry vegan cream cheese now! GoVeggie is the brand at my local Kroger, and it's delicious. Miyoko's makes an excellent cream cheese but keep in mind it is cultured so it'll give your dip some tang. I have used both homemade vegan cream cheese and GoVeggie to make this recipe and LOVED each version, so it's up to you!
- Vegan mayo. There are also some excellent vegan mayo brands at the store. My favorites are Just Mayo and Hellman's.
- Spinach. I like fresh, but you can also use frozen spinach for this dip.
- Oil. Use olive oil or canola to saute your veggies.
- Onion and garlic for rich allium flavor.
- Paprika. I like to add a pinch for some warmth and punch in this creamy dip.
Spinach Dip FAQ's
Can I Make Spinach Dip Ahead of Time?
Absolutely! You can make the entire recipe and store in the fridge. Spinach dip will last in the fridge for about 3 days. I would NOT recommend freezing this dip.
However, it is a great make-ahead recipe for holiday entertaining. You can serve it cold, at room temperature, or warm it a bit in the microwave to serve.
How Can I Serve Spinach Dip?
My favorite way to serve spinach dip is in a bread bowl. It makes for a lovely presentation. (Psst...and when the dip is pretty much gone and the guests are done, I love to rip off pieces of the bread bowl and munch away.)
Tip: When making a bread bowl, cube the bread you remove and serve it alongside the dip.
What goes well with spinach dip?
Serve spinach dip with carrots, celery, bell peppers, bread cubes, crackers, tortilla chips, or any of your favorite dunkable treats.
I love pairing it with my Vegan Pretzel Bites too!
Can I Use Frozen Spinach Instead of Fresh?
I use fresh spinach because I prefer the flavor. However, if you don't mind either way or can only find frozen, you can definitely use frozen spinach.
To make the dish with frozen spinach: thaw the spinach out (this can be done quickly by running cool water over it in a mesh strainer) then squeeze out any excess water. Substitute about ¾ cup of the thawed frozen spinach.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Please leave a comment and a ⭐ star review below!
Trying to go vegan? Sign up for our (FREE) Vegan Beginner's Guide!
Vegan Spinach Dip
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 small white or yellow onion chopped
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 6 ounces fresh baby spinach chopped roughly
- 1½ cup vegan cream cheese (12 ounces)
- ½ cup vegan mayo
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- In a large pan, heat up the oil on medium heat.2 teaspoons oil
- Add in the chopped onion and saute until translucent.1 small white or yellow onion
- Stir in the garlic and saute for another minute.5 cloves garlic
- Add the baby spinach to the pan, folding in a handful at a time so the pan isn't too overcrowded, and cook until wilted. Set aside and let cool.6 ounces fresh baby spinach
- Mix together the cream cheese, mayo, and paprika.1½ cup vegan cream cheese, ½ cup vegan mayo, ¼ teaspoon paprika
- Fold the cooled spinach into the cream cheese mixture. If the mixture is too thick for your preference, add in a tablespoon of non-dairy milk at a time until it's reached your desired consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve cold in a dish or bread bowl.