If you need a super easy dairy-free or vegan sweetened condensed milk recipe, I have the perfect one for you! This recipe calls for only 2 ingredients.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox.
Your favorite holiday or dessert recipe calls for sweetened condensed milk…but you don’t eat dairy! What can you use?
Vegan sweetened condensed milk, of course.
Store-bought vegan sweetened condensed milk can be hard to come by (I usually buy it on Amazon.) Thankfully, it’s pretty simple to make at home with a couple of basic ingredients and some simmering on the stove.
You only need 2 ingredients to make this sweetened condensed coconut milk.
- Coconut milk: Full-fat coconut milk in the can (this is typically found in the “International” aisle in the grocery store.) You need the higher fat content to produce a creamy and thick condensed milk, so don’t use lite coconut milk or the kind that comes in a carton.
- Sugar: White granulated sugar. Keep in mind that organic sugar is not perfectly white because of the difference in processing, so expect an off-white end result.
Trying to go vegan? Sign up for our (FREE) Vegan Beginner’s Guide!
The method is super basic: bring the coconut milk and sugar to a boil, then let simmer for 40-45 minutes (or until the milk has reduced by about half.) It will have a consistency just like traditional sweetened condensed milk once it is cooled to room temperature.
Coconut milk in a carton will not work for this recipe – full-fat canned coconut milk is essential to getting that perfectly sticky sweet texture and consistency.
Recipes that use vegan sweetened condensed milk:
Did you enjoy this recipe? Please leave a comment and a ⭐ star review below!
Vegan Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 (13.6-ounce) can full-fat coconut milk
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- In a pot on medium heat, bring the coconut milk and the sugar to a boil. Keep a close eye on it so it doesn't boil over.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 40-45 minutes (until liquid is reduced by about half.)
- Stir or whisk every 5 minutes or so.
- Remove from heat and let cool (it will get even thicker as it cools.)
- Store in fridge for up to 10 days.