This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. See my disclosure policy.
If you need a super easy dairy-free or vegan sweetened condensed milk recipe, I have the perfect one for you! This recipe calls for only 2 ingredients.
Vegan Sweetened Condensed Milk Recipe
Store-bought vegan sweetened condensed milk is hard to come by (I actually have to buy it on Amazon!) Thankfully, it's pretty simple to make at home!
And you only need 2 ingredients:
- A can of full fat coconut milk
- Organic cane sugar (or your sweetener of choice)
The method is super basic: bring the coconut milk and sugar to a boil, then let simmer for 40-45 minutes (or until the milk has reduced by about half.) It will have a consistency just like traditional sweetened condensed milk once it is cooled to room temperature.
Coconut milk in a carton will not work for this recipe - full-fat canned coconut milk is essential to getting that perfectly sticky sweet texture and consistency. I recommend getting a good quality coconut milk with minimal additives.
You can use this recipe in any baking recipe calling for sweetened condensed milk - like these vegan magic cookie bars.
Vegan Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 can full fat coconut milk*
- ⅓ cup organic sugar
- In a pot on medium heat, bring the coconut milk and the sugar to a boil. Keep a close eye on it so it doesn't boil over.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 40-45 minutes (until liquid is reduced by about half.)
- Stir or whisk every 5 minutes or so.
- Remove from heat and let cool (it will get even thicker as it cools.)
- Store in fridge for up to 10 days.