Cheesy, creamy, a little spicy, full of flavor – this vegan nacho cheese is killing it. And it’s guilt-free!
NOTE: This recipe has been updated to be oil-free.
Vegan Nacho Cheese Recipe
Believe it or not, boiled potatoes and carrots give this vegan cheese it’s creamy and smooth texture – and orange color! Blended with nutritional yeast and spices, you get a super flavorful cheese that is perfect on top of tortillas, in a bean burrito, on smashed potato nachos, and anything else your heart desires!
If you’re newly vegan and desperately miss cheese (PS, I hear you), this will definitely satisfy that craving.
Plus, it’s pretty dang healthy. So even if you are not vegan or dairy-free, it’s a great way to get some additional veggies into your diet (or your kid’s!)
Vegan Nacho Cheese
- 1.5 cup potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2/3 cup carrots peeled and cubed
- 1/3 cup vegetable stock
- 3/4 cup plant based milk soy or almond work best
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1.5 tsp arrowroot flour or corn starch
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp sea salt or more to taste
- Add potatoes and carrots to a pot of water. Bring to a boil, and let boil for 10 minutes. Strain and add to a blender.
- Blend together the potatoes and carrots. They don't have to be perfectly blended - just break them down a little.
- Add in remaining ingredients for the nacho cheese and blend until smooth and creamy!
- Drizzle over tortilla chips, in a bean burrito, or whatever your heart desires and enjoy!