Cheesy, creamy, a little spicy, full of flavor – this vegan nacho cheese is killing it. And it’s guilt-free!
NOTE: This recipe has been updated to be oil-free.
Vegan Nacho Cheese Recipe
Believe it or not, boiled potatoes and carrots give this vegan cheese it’s creamy and smooth texture – and orange color! Blended with nutritional yeast and spices, you get a super flavorful cheese that is perfect on top of tortillas, in a bean burrito, on smashed potato nachos, and anything else your heart desires!
If you’re newly vegan and desperately miss cheese (PS, I hear you), this will definitely satisfy that craving.
Plus, it’s pretty dang healthy. So even if you are not vegan or dairy-free, it’s a great way to get some additional veggies into your diet (or your kid’s!)
Vegan Nacho Cheese
- 1.5 cup potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2/3 cup carrots peeled and cubed
- 1/3 cup vegetable stock
- 3/4 cup plant based milk plain, unsweetened
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 3 tsp arrowroot flour or corn starch
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt or more to taste
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- Add potatoes and carrots to a pot of water. Bring to a boil, and let boil for 10 minutes. Strain and add to a blender.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the blender and blend until super creamy.
- Pour the nacho cheese into a pot and heat on medium-low heat until it starts to bubble. This will activate the arrowroot powder.
- Serve warm with your favorite chips!