This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. See my disclosure policy.
This healthy and hearty Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup is the perfect way to warm up, made with plant based protein and a savory veggie-based broth.
Everyone loves the familiar comfort of a hot bowl of chicken noodle soup. Whether you're sick or feeling fine, there's something so fortifying and warming about homemade soup. And if you've gone vegan, the good news is that you don't have to put your chicken noodle soup days behind you.
This vegan version is every bit as hearty, flavorful, and delicious as you expect. Plus, it's an easy one-pot meal you can throw together on a weeknight.
Reminder, the full recipe is in the recipe card toward the end of the post.
You don't need a long list of ingredients to make tasty vegan chicken noodle soup. Here's what you need:
- Vegan chicken: MorningStar Farms and Gardein both make great plant-based chicken substitutes (you can find both in the freezer section.) If you prefer not to use fake meats, chickpeas are delicious in this soup.
- "Chicken" bouillon: I love Edward and Son's Not-Chick'n bouillon cubes. Another good option is Better Than Bouillon's No-Chicken Base.
- Noodles. You can use any variety of short noodles you like. I love butter noodles.
- Bay leaves. For a nice earthy, herbal flavor.
- Oil. To saute the veggies before adding the liquids.
- Celery, carrots and onion. This classic mirepoix is the flavor base for great chicken noodle soup.
- Garlic for added depth of flavor.
- Parsley. For a pop of green on top.
Ingredient Swaps and Substitutions
- Gluten-free vegan chicken noodle soup: Use your favorite gluten-free pasta.
- Other protein options: Use your favorite chicken substitute. Or chickpeas or white beans work well. You can also use pan-seared tofu or tempeh in this soup.
- Broth: Feel free to use homemade vegetable broth if you prefer.
- Creamy soup: For a creamy version, replace some of the water with full-fat or light coconut milk.
Store leftover soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days. For best results, store the noodles separately from the soup so they don't absorb all of your tasty broth.
To freeze soup, it's best to keep the noodles separate, as they tend to get soggy when reheated. This soup can be frozen for up to three months. Reheat the soup on the stove to serve.
More Vegan Soup Recipes
Trying to go vegan? Sign up for our (FREE) Vegan Beginner's Guide!
Did you enjoy this recipe? Please leave a comment and a ⭐ star review below!
Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion - chopped
- 4 medium carrots - sliced
- 2 stalks celery - chopped
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 8 cups water
- 3 cubes vegan “chicken” bouillon - 3 teaspoons if using paste
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- salt - to taste
- 8 ounces noodles
- 13.5 ounces vegan chicken - shredded or chopped (about 2½ cups)
- ¼ cup fresh parsley - chopped
- In a large soup pot, heat oil on medium heat. Add in the carrots, celery, and onion. Saute until carrots are tender, about 5 minutes.¼ cup olive oil, 4 medium carrots, 2 stalks celery, 1 medium yellow onion
- Mix in the garlic and cook for another minute.4 cloves garlic
- Add in the water, bouillon, bay leaves, pepper, and salt. Bring to a simmer on medium-high.8 cups water, 3 cubes vegan “chicken” bouillon, 2 bay leaves, ½ teaspoon pepper, salt
- Add in the noodles and chicken. Cook until noodles are al dente (this will depend on the type of noodle you choose - check the package for cooking time.)8 ounces noodles, 13.5 ounces vegan chicken
- Remove from heat. Stir in fresh parsley. Serve warm.¼ cup fresh parsley
- I use a bag of MorningStar Farms Chik'N Strips in this recipe. First I thaw them, then I shred them into smaller pieces using my hands.
- For "chicken" bouillon I love Edward and Son's Not Chick'n bouillon cubes. For a richer flavor, add an additional cube of bouillon.