This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. See my disclosure policy.
Easy vegan taco salad with tofu "meat". The tofu is key, but the 2-ingredient creamy salsa dressing pulls everything together!
Tofu taco meat, easy dairy-free dressing, veggies, and black beans come together to create the vegan taco salad of your dreams!
If you're thinking "ugh...tofu, really?" Just trust me. This recipe will make you a believer in tofu! It's easy to prepare and tastes just like taco meat in the end. (If you can't eat soy, don't worry, I have some substitution suggestions below.)
Although I LOVE the "meat" in this recipe, the dressing is so tasty and super simple with just 2 ingredients.
You can meal prep this vegan taco salad and enjoy it throughout the week, or serve it as a family dinner.
Trying to go vegan? Sign up for our (FREE) Vegan Beginner's Guide!
- Tofu: Extra firm is best. Firm tofu can be used if you're in a pinch. We'll be pressing it for the best texture.
- Taco seasoning: Use 2 tablespoons of homemade taco seasoning or 1 store-bought seasoning packet.
- Oil: For sautéing the tofu taco meat.
- Vegan sour cream: Make your own or grab your favorite store-bought version.
- Salsa: I like using hot salsa because the sour cream dilutes some of the heat.
- Lettuce: Use your favorite! I love romaine or butter lettuce. Iceberg or spring mix are also good options.
- Tomato: 1 large tomato or a couple of handfuls of cherry tomatoes.
- Red onion: Red onion is most used in a salad, but you can choose a yellow onion for a less-sharp flavor.
- Corn: Canned corn is the easiest to use but frozen & thawed is another good option.
- Black beans: Adds more bulk, protein, and satiety. Pinto beans will also work.
- Additional toppings of choice
Tofu Guide: How to Press Tofu
In this resource, you'll learn 2 easy methods.
How to Make Vegan Taco Salad
The first step is to prepare vegan taco meat. (If you don't like tofu, see the substitution section below.)
Press the tofu for 15 minutes, then chop it into small pieces or crumble it with your hands. See my guide on how to press tofu. Toss with the taco seasoning and oil. Sauté in a pan until browned.
While preparing the tofu, make the dressing by whisking together vegan sour cream and salsa. Chop all the veggies, drain and rinse the corn and beans, and assemble your salad.
Salad is super versatile, so you can add in or omit ingredients based on your personal preference.
- Tofu substitutions: Any vegan ground meat can be substituted, including Impossible, Beyond Burger, Gardein, or my homemade vegan beef. Season with taco seasoning and cook in a skillet.
- Vegetables: You don't have to stick to what is in a typical taco salad. Bell peppers, carrots, cucumbers, and chopped roasted red peppers are also tasty options.
- Dressing: Salsa on its own makes for a great dressing. I also like to mix salsa with vegan ranch.
- Toppings: Go wild! Tortilla strips or chips, guacamole, avocado, vegan cheese, queso, hot sauce, refried beans, etc.
The ingredients can easily be halved or multiplied following the same directions.
For meal prepping vegan taco salad, I recommend preparing all ingredients as instructed but storing the taco meat, dressing, and salad in separate containers. This is the best method for a fresh-tasting salad that is not soggy. Leave enough room in the salad container so you can toss in the taco meat and dressing and shake or toss with a fork to combine!
Like with the meal prep directions, store all of the components ("meat", dressing, and salad) separately to ensure freshness. Salad can usually store in the fridge for 2-5 days.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Please leave a comment and a ⭐ star review below!
Vegan Taco Salad
Tofu Taco Meat
- 1 (14-ounce) block extra-firm tofu pressed for 15 minutes
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup vegan sour cream
- ¼ cup salsa
- 8 cups lettuce chopped
- 1 large tomato chopped
- 1 large red onion sliced or chopped
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can corn drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5-ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- additional toppings of choice guacamole, sour cream, vegan cheese, etc.
Tofu Taco Meat
- Chop the pressed tofu into small pieces or crumble with your hands. Toss with the oil and taco seasoning.
- Heat the pan to medium-low heat. Add in the tofu and sauté until warm and crispy (about 5-8 minutes.)
- Whisk together the sour cream and salsa.
- Prepare the vegetables, corn, and beans as instructed in the ingredient section.
- Divide into 4 servings. Add vegan taco meat and dressing on top. Toss in additional toppings like guac or tortilla chips. Serve!