This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy.
Vegan teriyaki meal prep bowls are your answer to EASY, HEALTHY lunches!
Vegan Teriyaki Meal Prep Bowls
Lately, I have been all about making life easier – especially in the kitchen. I’m sure most of you can relate, but spending all of my time in the kitchen gets pretty old after a while. The issue with this is that many of us then turn to eating out which is terrible for your health and your wallet.
You can still eat good, healthy food while taking a few shortcuts. For example, buy pre-cut broccoli or frozen broccoli florets that you can just toss in the oven or microwave. You can also find frozen rice to microwave in minutes – I get the frozen brown rice from Trader Joe’s occasionally. There is a little more packaging in these prepared foods, but there is still a lot less waste and plastic used this way than if you were to eat out or grab fast food.
Another time-saving tip is to prepare some food ahead of time. Whether that means cooking a pot of quinoa to last you the week, making a batch of hummus to snack on, or putting together complete meal prep bowls that you can reheat.
This recipe for Vegan Teriyaki Meal Prep Bowls is super simple to make and reheats well. The teriyaki sauce is naturally-sweetened and oil-free. Make rice as a side or use quinoa or cauliflower rice to switch it up! (Trader Joe’s has a cauliflower fried rice in the freezer section that is SO GOOD, by the way.)
To add some protein, chickpeas save the day. If you don’t like chickpeas, tofu or additional veggies would also be super tasty. My husband really loves the Beyond Meat “chicken” strips in recipes like this.
This vegan teriyaki recipe makes 4 servings – so you can have a bowl nearly every day or you can halve the recipe and prep some other recipes for the remaining days.
More Vegan Meal Prep Recipes:
- Turmeric Chickpea Salad
- Instant Pot Green Curry
- One-Pot Chickpea Potato Curry
- Jackfruit Enchilada Bowls
- Buffalo Chickpea Wraps
Vegan Teriyaki Meal Prep Bowls
- 1 cup uncooked rice - or quinoa
- 1 head broccoli* - chopped and steamed
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice** - or more for a sweeter flavor
- 2 tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 3 tbsp cold water
- 2 cans chickpeas - drained and rinsed
- 1 cup pineapple chunks**
- First, cook the rice according to the package instructions. Cook the broccoli to your preference - I love to either steam it or roast it.
- In a medium pot, add 1 cup of water, soy sauce, ground ginger, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, and pineapple juice. Whisk and let the sauce get warm over medium heat.
- Mix together the cornstarch and 3 tbsp of water to make a slurry. Slowly pour into the sauce pot while whisking. Make sure the sauce is NOT simmering yet when you add the slurry.
- Now, you can bring your sauce to a simmer until it is thickened.
- Remove the sauce from the stove and stir in the pineapple chunks, chickpeas, and the cooked broccoli.
- Add the teriyaki and cooked rice to your meal prep containers (cover with an airtight lid) and store in the fridge for up to 5 days.