This recipe for Chickpea Teriyaki bowls with crunchy broccoli and savory soy sauce is a fast, easy and healthy idea for vegan meal prep you’ll love.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox.
Lately, I have been all about making life easier––especially in the kitchen. Instead of preparing three meals a day all week long, why not make things easier for yourself by preparing a big batch of meal prep at the beginning of the week?
Vegan Meal Prep Tips
You can still eat flavorful, nutritious food while taking a few shortcuts. For example, when I’m making this meal prep recipe for chickpea teriyaki bowls, I sometimes buy pre-cut or frozen broccoli florets. Then I can just toss them in the oven or microwave and skip the mess. You can also find frozen or par-cooked rice that warms in the microwave in less than two minutes. My favorite is the frozen rice from Trader Joe’s.
Probably my favorite time-saving cooking tip is to meal prep. Sometimes that means simply cooking a pot of quinoa for lunches all week long. Or making a batch of hummus to snack on.
Other times, I’ll put together complete meal prep bowls, like these chickpea teriyaki bowls. When I have them in the fridge, I can just reheat and eat when hunger strikes. No need to stop my day just to prepare lunch.
This recipe is super simple to make and reheats in the microwave well in a couple of minutes. The teriyaki sauce is naturally-sweetened and oil-free. Reminder: You can find the printable, detailed recipe in the recipe card below.
- Cooked rice. You can also substitute cauliflower rice or quinoa to mix things up.
- Soy sauce. This the base of your savory teriyaki sauce. Choose low-sodium to better control the saltiness of your sauce.
- Corn starch. This is a great thickener for simple teriyaki sauce. It’s also naturally gluten-free.
- Ginger. Choose organic ground ginger for the best flavor.
- Red pepper flakes. Feel free to use more or less red pepper flakes depending on how spicy you like things.
- Garlic powder and onion powder. These are instant flavor boosters, no chopping or mincing required!
- Broccoli. To save time, buy a 16-ounce bag of broccoli florets.
- Chickpeas. The source of protein in these vegan meal prep bowls, chickpeas also absorb tons of the teriyaki sauce flavor.
- Crushed pineapple. This adds just the right amount of sweetness and a tropical vibe to these meal prep bowls.
Substitutions & Swaps
- Gluten-free. This recipe is naturally gluten-free! Just make sure to use gluten-free tamari instead of soy sauce. It’s also dairy-free and nut-free.
- Soy-free. To make soy-free chickpea teriyaki bowls, substitute the soy sauce with coconut aminos.
- Other veggies. You can replace the broccoli florets with another veggie, or a mix of vegetables, that you have on hand. Cauliflower, chopped bok choy, and other Asian greens will all work well in this recipe.
- Other grains. Swap out the white rice for brown rice, quinoa, farro, or cauliflower rice for a low-carb option.
- Other proteins. If you don’t like chickpeas, use cubed tofu or tempeh. My husband really loves the Beyond Meat “chicken” strips in recipes like this.
I like to let the dish cool fully, then divide the rice and chickpea teriyaki between single-serving containers. They’ll stay fresh for up to four days in the fridge.
Then simply transfer the dish to a microwave-safe bowl and reheat to serve!
Did you enjoy this recipe? Please leave a comment and a ⭐ star review below!
Vegan Chickpea Teriyaki Meal Prep Bowls
- In a medium pan or pot, whisk together the water, soy sauce, corn starch, ginger, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Mix in the broccoli, chickpeas, and pineapple.
- Bring to a simmer on medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for about 8-10 minutes, or until the broccoli is tender. Add more water if needed.
- Enjoy over rice.
- For a simplified and even faster version, you can use a 16-ounce bag of frozen broccoli.
- This recipe will keep in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
- For super quick rice, try Instant Pot Rice!
More Vegan Meal Prep Recipes: