This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. See my disclosure policy.
Insanely flavorful marinated and baked BBQ tofu! This recipe is totally vegan (of course) and gluten-free!
We are officially huge fans of tofu in this house! It can accompany many meals the same way chicken or beef can (without the cruelty, of course) and is so easy to diversify with different flavors and cooking methods.
This baked BBQ tofu is mouthwatering alongside vegan mashed potatoes and sautéed green beans or asparagus. It's one of our go-to dinners and totally has that meat-and-potatoes feel.
There are just a few easy steps to make baked BBQ tofu - press, marinate, and bake on a sheet pan! The first two steps can be done ahead of time for even more ease after a busy day.
Baked BBQ Tofu Ingredients
Full printable recipe card is at the bottom of the post!
- 1 block of extra firm tofu
- ¼ cup of soy sauce (can substitute with liquid aminos)
- ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons of brown sugar (can substitute with maple syrup)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- ½ teaspoon of smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
- ½ cup of barbecue sauce (don't add this to the marinade - it comes later!) I love this homemade vegan BBQ sauce.
You'll also need:
- A tofu press or a DIY way to press the tofu. You can wrap it in a clean kitchen towel or paper towels and place something heavy on top.
- A sheet pan.
- Parchment paper or a silicone baking mat so the tofu doesn't stick to the baking sheet.
How to Make BBQ Tofu
To see the full list of ingredients and detailed instructions, refer to the recipe card below!
- Press the tofu: First, press it for about 30 minutes to get some liquid out. This will make room for the marinade and improve the texture of the tofu! To learn about pressing tofu, check out this comprehensive guide.
- Slice the tofu: Into slices about ¼-inch to ½-inch thick. Place the tofu slices into a container.
- Make the marinade: Whisk together the soy sauce, ACV, brown sugar, olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, and black pepper.
- Let it marinate: Pour the marinade over the tofu. Place in the fridge and let it do it's thing for about 30 minutes (longer is okay - you can even let it marinate overnight but keep in mind the more marinade it soaks up, the longer it may take to cook due to higher moisture content.)
- Bake it: Place the marinated tofu on a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper. Brush a thin layer of barbecue sauce on each side of each slice. Bake at 425°F for 30 minutes total or until the edges are crispy, flipping and brushing the tofu with more barbecue sauce halfway through.
Variations and Substitutions
- Make it oil-free: Simply omit the olive oil if desired, but keep in mind the edges won't get as crispy without it!
- Cube it: Instead of slicing the tofu, cut it into smaller cubes! This is great for making recipes like BBQ tofu tacos with vegan coleslaw or adding to a pizza! Baking time may vary with this method.
What to Serve With
- Vegan Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Corn on the Cob
- Roasted Potatoes
- Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
- Vegan Chopped Salad
- Vegan Biscuits
Did you enjoy this recipe? Please leave a comment and a ⭐ star review below!
Baked BBQ Tofu
- Tofu press
- 1 block extra firm tofu pressed
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup barbecue sauce
- Cut the pressed tofu into slices about ¼-inch to ½-inch thick.
- Place the tofu in a container.
- Mix together the soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika and black pepper.
- Pour the marinade over the tofu and let marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. It can be left in the marinade overnight. The more it marinates, the more flavorful the tofu will be but it also may take longer to cook with the additional moisture.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Place the tofu on the baking sheet and brush each side with a thin layer of BBQ sauce.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then flip the tofu, brushing each side again with more BBQ sauce.
- Bake for an additional 15 minutes or until tofu has crispy edges. The tofu may require more time depending on how thick you have sliced it.
- Brush with more BBQ sauce if desired, and enjoy!
Try these vegan chicken nuggets made with tofu next!
Delicious and simple! Will definitely be part of the dinner rotation