This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. See my disclosure policy.
Melt-in-your-mouth, easy, light and fluffy vegan pancakes made with just 6 ingredients.
Is there anything more mouth-watering than a stacked plate of pancakes on a Saturday morning? A little bit of melted butter on top, drizzled with maple syrup…mmmm.
But if it’s a dense, chewy pancake - not so appetizing. My favorite type of pancake is the kind that is so fluffy and airy, you barely have to chew. They just melt right in your mouth.
To make pancakes vegan, you just need to use your favorite non-dairy milk and melted vegan butter. Eggs are definitely not required to achieve fluffiness in a pancake.
Instead, we’ll be using a fair amount of baking powder. Baking powder is a leavening agent that creates bubbles in the batter, making for an airy pancake. While you are making the pancakes, you’ll notice that the batter in the bowl will get pretty puffy. You can give it a gentle stir but don’t stir it so vigorously that you get rid of all the bubbles.
This recipe also calls for vanilla which just takes them to the next level, flavor-wise. Seriously, don't skip that ingredient! It makes a huge difference - especially since this recipe is lower in sugar than most pancake recipes. I never really saw the point in adding a ton of sugar to pancake batter when we are going to be drowning them in maple syrup.
If you're looking for a gluten-free vegan pancake recipe, try this one made with oat flour!
- Use a really good non-stick skillet. I love my GreenLife ceramic skillets.
- If the batter is so thick that it globs out instead of pouring into the pan, add a little more vegan milk - a tablespoon or two.
- If you love a crispy pancake edge, add a teaspoon or two of vegan butter into the pan.
- Add-ins are welcome! About ½ cup of chocolate chips or fruit. I like using fresh fruit over frozen fruit - frozen fruit adds too much moisture to the pancake.
- Flip just once. This helps the pancakes stay fluffy and moist. Wait until the first side is perfectly golden brown, then flip. Note that the second side will take less time to brown.
- If you want more flavor in your pancake, try adding ingredients like cinnamon, nutmeg, or almond extract.
- You can make this recipe oil-free by leaving out the vegan butter and replacing it with additional non-dairy milk.
- If you cook in butter, it will start to get brown in the pan after cooking your second or third pancake. Wipe out the pan and replace with fresh butter.
- Don't overmix the batter - mix until the ingredients are just incorporated. Some clumps of flour are fine. Overmixed pancakes = chewy and flat pancakes.
- Got extras? You can freeze pancakes! Heat them up in the microwave or a toaster.
Did I cover it all? Are you ready to make your new favorite sweet breakfast? Let's go!
Fluffy Vegan Pancakes
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients (non-dairy milk, vegan butter, and vanilla extract) until just incorporated. Avoid overmixing. There should still be lumps of flour in the batter.
- Heat a non-stick pan to medium heat. Add a teaspoon or two of vegan butter into the pan if crispy edges are desired.
- Scoop about ¼ cup of batter into the pan for each pancake.
- Cook until the top of the pancake starts to bubble and the bottom is golden brown (about 3-4 minutes). Flip! Cook on that side until golden brown (about 1-2 minutes)
More Vegan Breakfast Recipes