This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. See my disclosure policy.
This Vegan chocolate Pie is light, airy and made with six ingredients plus pie crust. It's a perfect make-ahead dairy-free dessert.
We're all about luscious chocolate desserts at my house. From my classic Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies to Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake, there's never a bad time for extra chocolate at the table.
And this creamy pie is a perfect way to serve up rich chocolate during warm weather...or for the holidays! It's served cold and makes a refreshing and sweet end to any meal, especially Thanksgiving or Christmas. Serve it with Whipped Coconut Cream for good measure.
You need just seven ingredients to make this easy vegan chocolate pie.
- Sugar. Use organic to ensure it's vegan.
- Non-dairy milk. Use creamy non-dairy milk, like soy milk or (my favorite) extra creamy oat milk. Canned coconut milk makes this pie even silkier.
- Chocolate chips. Make sure they're dairy-free.
- Cornstarch. To thicken the pie (it's gluten-free).
- Vanilla. To balance the rich chocolate flavor.
- Salt. To enhance the sweetness in your pie.
- Pie crust. This recipe calls for baking the crust first. I recommend this vegan pie crust recipe. You can also use a premade graham cracker crust.
- Make sure to constantly whisk the cornstarch, sugar, and non-dairy milk as it comes to a simmer. This is key to an extra-smooth filling. Otherwise, the cornstarch can overcook and make the mixture lumpy. As soon as it comes to a simmer and thickens, immediately remove the pot from the heat.
- If you're making your own crust, let it cool fully before you add the chocolate filling. Otherwise, it may melt.
- For gluten-free chocolate pie, use your favorite gluten-free pie crust recipe or store-bought option.
Store leftover chocolate pie in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days. Longer storage may give you a soggy crust.
You can also freeze the pie for up to three months. Slice it first for faster defrosting. To thaw frozen pie, place it in the fridge overnight.
Trying to go vegan? Sign up for our (FREE) Vegan Beginner's Guide!
Did you enjoy this recipe? Please leave a comment and a ⭐ star review below!
Vegan Chocolate Pie
- pie crust pre-made/baked
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk recommended: oat, soy, or coconut
- 2 cups vegan chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Prepare and bake the pie crust, or use a pre-made crust like a graham cracker crust.
- In a medium sauce pan, whisk together the sugar and cornstarch. Whisk in the non-dairy milk.
- On medium heat, bring the mixture to a gentle simmer. Stir constantly once you see the mixture start to steam. Once it thickens (this should happen within seconds of starting to simmer), remove from heat.
- Mix in vanilla and salt. Stir in the chocolate chips until fully melted.
- Pour into crust.
- Let cool for about 4 hours in the fridge, or until set.