Super fluffy, easy vegan chocolate chip pancakes perfect for a comforting breakfast!
Vegan Chocolate Chip Pancakes
Aren’t pancakes just the perfect indulgent, sweet breakfast? Especially chocolate chip pancakes. So simple, so delicious! That melty butter, mouth-watering maple syrup, and chocolate-y goodness gets me every time.
I recently shared with you a recipe for fluffy vegan pancakes, and while I love a basic stack of pancakes, adding in chocolate chips is just so much better. Let’s be honest. They’re basically the cheat code to having dessert for breakfast.
Thankfully, vegan chocolate chips are usually pretty easy to find these days! Enjoy Life carries semi-sweet mini chocolate chips which I use just as much as the Simple Truth Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (I buy these from Kroger.) You can even use chocolate chunks for a bigger burst of chocolate.
Tips & Tricks to Make the Best Pancakes
Let me give you a simple, but important, tip – don’t skip the vanilla! I mean, unless you are allergic or really detest vanilla. But it truly creates a lovely flavor combination in sync with the chocolate. Honestly, sometimes I even add more vanilla than what the recipe calls for. I just love it. Make sure to get the pure vanilla extract, not the fake stuff. Quality matters!
If you want those beautiful crispy pancake edges (YES PLEASE), I recommend using vegan butter instead of oil to cook the pancakes in. If you decide to go this route, definitely wipe out the butter and add new butter each time you add more batter to the pan. Unless you like little burnt butter bits all over your pancakes. That’s a no from me.
This recipe makes about 6 chocolate chip pancakes, which is perfect for my little family of 3, served with some vegan sausage or fruit. If you need to serve more people, doubling or even tripling the batch works great! I usually have two pans going to feed a crowd to keep the pancakes nice and warm.
More Sweet Vegan Breakfast Recipes to Try:
- Maple Pecan Overnight Oats
- Double Chocolate Muffins
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Granola
- Pumpkin Pie Pop Tarts
Vegan Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Mix in the milk, butter, and vanilla extract. It's okay to leave some flour clumps – this actually helps the pancakes get fluffy!
- Heat a pan on medium heat. I prefer to use some kind of non-stick pan.
- Add about 1 tsp of oil or vegan butter into the pan. Let the butter melt.
- Ladle about 1/4-1/3 cup of batter into the pan for each pancake. I typically cook 1 or 2 pancakes a time to make sure cooking is even.
- Cook until the tops of the pancakes begin to get bubbly and the bottom is golden brown about 3-4 minutes.)
- Flip and cook on the other side until golden brown (another minute or two.)
- If I'm using vegan butter, I'll wipe the pan out between batches and add fresh butter because it burns easily.
- Serve warm with some pure maple syrup!