This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy.
Instant Pot Corn Chowder that cooks in just 8 minutes, and is ready for the dinner table from start to finish in about 40 minutes. Thankfully, nearly 30 minutes of that time is just waiting for the Instant Pot timer to go off! This recipe is dairy-free, nut-free, vegan, and gluten-free.
Instant Pot Corn Chowder
Warm soups and stews and chili, oh my! ‘Tis the season for these yummy, warm, savory dishes. Today I’m bringing you an incredible corn chowder recipe. This recipe is loved by my husband, and he’s super picky, so I always call that a huge win.
The main instructions for this corn chowder take place in the Instant Pot – but modified stove top instructions are included in the note section of the recipe card.
Seriously though, if you don’t have an Instant Pot, why?! They are time-savers and the smaller ones are pretty budget-friendly. This is the Instant Pot I have. My husband makes potatoes in it at least twice a week. It is so well-loved, especially in the colder months for soup and curry.
Note that it does take some time to pressurize – so even though this corn chowder cooks in 8 minutes, that’s after the Instant Pot has to pressurize for about 15-20 minutes. Regardless, you just set the timer, let it work, and wait for the timer when it’s done.
To make this recipe even quicker, chop up the onions and carrots ahead of time. Just store in the fridge until you are ready to make corn chowder. Some awesome advice I have received is to prep for dinner in the morning or on Sunday. Around 4PM, I am feeling super unmotivated to cook dinner. Prepping ahead of time helps so much.
This Instant Pot corn chowder uses canned coconut milk, which makes it totally vegan – but you can substitute almond milk or your milk of choice if you wish. I highly recommend the coconut milk because it makes the chowder creamier and taste delicious. Which = comfort and happy taste buds.
Important note: Make sure the valve on the Instant Pot is set to seal! This allows the Instant Pot to properly pressurize. You definitely don’t want to walk back in the kitchen to find undercooked dinner. Sadness.
Corn chowder is pretty hearty on its own, but serving alongside some vegan sausage or salad is a great idea. If you haven’t tried Beyond Sausage, omg, so good. We like the brats the best.
Instant Pot Corn Chowder
- 1/4 cup vegetable stock or 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 small sweet onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic crushed or minced
- 4 medium red potatoes peeled and cubed
- 3 medium carrots peeled and chopped
- 16 oz bag of frozen sweet corn
- 1 can coconut milk unsweetened (~14 oz)
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika optional, for smokey flavor
- pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- 3 tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 6 tbsp cold water
- Turn your Instant Pot on saute mode. Add in the 1/4 cup of vegetable stock (or oil) and onions.
- Saute the onions until they are translucent, about 3 minutes. Add in the garlic and saute for 1 additional minute.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, corn, coconut milk, vegetable stock, thyme, paprika and some pepper to the pot and stir well.
- Pot the cover on and seal the valve.
- On manual mode, set the Instant Pot for 8 minutes. (Note that the Instant Pot will need about 20 minutes to pressurize before starting the 8-minute countdown.)
- Once the timer goes off, use a towel to turn the valve and depressurize the Instant Pot. Be careful - liquid might come sputtering out!
- When it's depressurized, you'll no longer hear any air coming out of the valve. Carefully remove the lid.
- To make a cornstarch slurry, mix the cornstarch with the water until the cornstarch is fully dissolved. Pour slowly into the pot, stirring the entire time to avoid clumping.
- If it's not thick enough, make another cornstarch slurry and add a little in. If it's too thick, add some more vegetable stock or non-dairy milk.
- Season with more pepper and salt if needed.
- Serve right away. Top with green onions, parsley and/or cashew bacon bits for some color and added yumminess.