This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. See my disclosure policy.
This Vegan Butternut Squash Risotto is a creamy, warming side dish with cubes of sweet roasted squash and arborio rice.
Risotto is an all-time favorite dish at my house. It always hits the spot on a chilly night. It's so creamy, savory and, when you make it with diced butternut squash, a bit sweet.
This vegan version has the same buttery flavor and velvety texture you expect from risotto, without any dairy. This is a fantastic family-friendly recipe to serve with my holiday Glazed Tofu.
The ingredients for this dreamy vegan butternut squash risotto are simple and designed to infuse every bite with herby, oniony flavor.
- Arborio rice. It's important to use this variety of rice for your risotto. It has the right size grain and the right amount of starch to make a creamy texture that doesn't stick together.
- Onion. This helps build plenty of flavor in the dish, as you'll start by browning the onions in the skillet. Dice them nice and small so there's a bit of onion in every bite.
- Vegetable broth. You can use store-bought broth or make your own. Here's an Instant Pot recipe too.
- White wine. See this list of best wines for cooking for some recommendations. I typically use Sauvignon Blanc.
- Vegan butter. For the buttery flavor, I love Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks.
- Sage. I love the combination of sage and butternut squash in risotto. It's warming and comforting.
- Butternut squash. Dice the squash into equal-sized pieces for even cooking.
Swaps & Substitions
- Alcohol-free vegan risotto: Simply substitute the white wine for more vegetable broth.
- Other spices: Feel free to use a different dried spice than sage. Basil, oregano, thyme or rosemary are all delicious.
- Frozen squash: For a faster recipe, roast frozen butternut squash cubes instead of preparing from fresh.
Store leftover vegan butternut risotto in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days.
Trying to go vegan? Sign up for our (FREE) Vegan Beginner's Guide!
⭐Did you make this recipe?⭐
Please leave a comment and a star review below.
Vegan Butternut Squash Risotto
How to Roast Butternut Squash
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the skin using a vegetable peeler. Cut the entire squash into quarters.
- Scoop out seeds. Cut squash into ½ inch cubes.
- Toss with 2 teaspoons olive oil, salt, black pepper, and sage.
- Spread out evenly onto the baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until tender and browned.
Making the Risotto
- In the meantime, heat the vegetable broth in a large sauce pan. Bring to a gentle simmer and cover for now. Using hot broth is important to make super creamy risotto.
- Add onion to a large pan and sauté on medium heat in 2 teaspoons of olive oil until translucent and little browned on the edges.
- Turn heat to low. Add ¼ cup of white wine (or vegetable broth) and deglaze the pan. Stir the rice into the pot and cook for about a minute.
- Adding ½ cup increments at a time, stir in the simmering vegetable broth. Wait until the stock has absorbed before adding another ½ cup.
- Continue this process until the rice is tender, stirring constantly. You may need to use less or more than 6 cups of broth. Taste test often.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix in vegan butter.
- Toss the rice with the roasted butternut squash and serve.