This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy.
The best vegan potato soup with simple ingredients. Perfect for a cozy, hearty dinner or lunch on a chilly day. This soup is creamy, full of flavor, and easy to make. Serve with dinner rolls and maple roasted carrots for a filling meal.
We are certifiably potato-obsessed in this household - from mashed potatoes to roasted potatoes! So potato soup just makes sense, ya know? It's so cozy, satisfying, and hearty. Perfect for those chilly days or when you need something substantial to fill your belly up.
The best part is that it is super easy to make and takes less than 45 minutes, prep work included. While the soup is simmering away, you can whip up a quick vegan chopped salad - crisp, fresh veggies pair perfectly with the creamy soup!
- Vegan butter
- Yellow onion
- Seasonings: dried sag, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper
- Flour: For thickening the soup
- Vegetable stock and non-dairy milk make the base of the soup.
- Potatoes: 2 pounds. I recommend Yukon gold potatoes or white potatoes.
No potato soup is complete without vegan bacon in my house. My favorite is Sweet Earth's Benevolent Bacon. You can also top with dairy-free cheese and green onions for a loaded baked potato soup.
How to Make Vegan Potato Soup
Good news: cream of potato soup is super easy to make. Here's how it goes:
Step 1: Melt butter in a large pot on medium heat. Sauté onions until translucent.
Step 2: Add in the garlic, sage, and smoked paprika and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
Step 3: Mix in the flour and cook for 1 minute. This helps remove the "chalky" flour taste. Whisk in the vegetable stock and oat milk until the flour is dissolved.
Step 4: Stir in the diced potatoes, salt, and pepper.
Step 5: Bring to a simmer on medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for about 12-15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
Step 6: Add on your favorite toppings! To make it a loaded baked potato soup, top with vegan bacon, cheese, and sour cream.
Note: If you don't want as many, or any, potato chunks - use an immersion blender for super creamy potato soup! Or, carefully add the soup into a regular blender. Be super cautious so hot soup doesn't fly everywhere.
This recipe is super flexible and customizable, so adapting it to your needs is a breeze!
- Gluten-free: Use a 1:1 style gluten-free flour for the roux.
- Oil-free: Simply omit the oil and substitute about ¼ cup of vegetable stock when sautéing the onions. To help thicken the soup, whisk together 2 tablespoons of corn starch and 3 tablespoons of cold water. Stir in the soup when adding the milk and veggie stock.
- Kinds of milk: You can use basically any type of non-dairy milk in this recipe, as long as it is plain and unsweetened. Creamier types of milk such as oat milk and soy milk work the best, but cashew and almond are fine alternatives.
- Different potatoes: If you cannot find gold potatoes, you can use another type of potato, such as russet or white potatoes. Red potatoes are too gummy for this soup (in my opinion!)
- Seasoning: I love adding flavor to my soup with sage and smoked paprika, but cajun seasoning is another favorite and will add a lively kick!
- Fridge: You can store this soup in the fridge for up to 3 days. When reheating, you might notice that the leftovers are much thicker. Add a little dairy-free milk or vegetable stock to loosen it up.
- Freezer: Add the soup to an airtight container. Freeze for up to 3 months. To thaw, let it sit in the fridge overnight.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Please leave a comment and a ⭐ star review below!
Vegan Potato Soup
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2.5 cups oat milk or any non-dairy milk
- 2 pounds gold potatoes diced
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper or to taste
- optional toppings: vegan bacon, cheese, green onions, etc
- Melt butter in a large pot on medium heat. Sauté onions until translucent.
- Add in the garlic, sage, and smoked paprika and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
- Mix in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the vegetable stock and oat milk until the flour is dissolved.
- Stir in the potatoes, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer on medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, for about 12-15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- At this point, you can use an immersion blender or regular blender to make a smoother soup if you desire. Be super careful so hot soup doesn't fly everywhere!
- Serve with your favorite toppings!
More Vegan Soup Recipes to Try: