This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy.
Rich and flavorful vegan brown gravy made in less than 10 minutes!
Gravy is definitely one of those versatile, classic recipes you've gotta keep in your back pocket! It can be enjoyed with so many dishes - mashed potatoes, crispy tofu, roasted potatoes, biscuits, and more.
Put this vegan brown gravy on the table at your next family meal or Thanksgiving dinner and watch it disappear. 😋
(P.S. If you're attending a gathering and need to bring a dish, this gravy is perfect because no one can tell it's vegan!)
4 basic ingredients + seasonings.
- Oil or vegan butter: Any neutral-tasting oil like canola oil will work.
- Flour: All-purpose flour is used to thicken the gravy.
- Vegetable broth: Grab a carton of store-bought broth, or use vegetable bouillon and water to be more cost-effective.
- Soy sauce: Soy sauce adds both salty and umami elements for a savory flavor.
- Seasonings: Onion powder, garlic powder, and pepper.
See recipe card for quantities.
Trying to go vegan? Sign up for our (FREE) Vegan Beginner's Guide!
Homemade gravy is one of the easiest recipes you'll ever make. It's quick to whip up right before dinner is served! All you need is a whisk and a medium to large saucepan.
Heat oil in a pot on medium-low heat. Whisk in flour and seasonings and cook for 2 minutes.
Whisk in vegetable broth and soy sauce. Let simmer for 5 minutes, or until thickened.
- Gluten-free - Use a gluten-free 1-to-1 flour, like Bob's Red Mill.
- Low-sodium - Opt for a low-sodium soy sauce or reduce the quantity.
- Seasonings: You can add sage, thyme, rosemary, or marjoram for additional flavor. Add cayenne pepper for some heat.
- Mushrooms/Onions: If you like mushrooms or onions in your gravy, dice some up and sauté them in the oil before adding flour.
- Wine: Replace 1 cup of the vegetable broth with 1 cup of the wine of your choosing. Both red wine (like Cabernet sauvignon) or white wine (like Chardonnay) work well.
Store any leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Simply heat it back up in the microwave or on the stove.
Vegan Dinners eBook
- 21 Dinner Recipes
- 8 Bonus Recipes
- 2-Week Meal Plan
- Taco Casserole
- Sweet Potato Chili
- "Cheesy" Potato Burritos
- ...and way more!
Vegan Brown Gravy
- Heat oil in a medium sized sauce pan on med-low heat.
- Whisk in flour and seasonings (garlic, onion, pepper) and let cook for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the vegetable broth and soy sauce. Bring a simmer for 5 minutes, or until thickened.