This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. See my disclosure policy.
Easy vegan cheese sauce made in 5 minutes with 8 simple ingredients. Made without nuts. Gluten-free and soy-free.
A good vegan cheese sauce will change your world! The best part is that this recipe requires no blending! It is also soy-free, nut-free, and gluten-free. The base is coconut milk, but you can substitute with another kind of creamy dairy-free milk (see the section on variations below.)
The only equipment you need is a whisk and a pot.
This vegan cheese sauce is super versatile. Here are some ways to use it:
- Dip for chips or veggies
- To make mac & cheese
- Over roasted vegetables
- To make a loaded baked potato with vegan bacon bits
You are only 8 ingredients away from the most epic cheese sauce. See the section on variations below if you have substitution questions, and the recipe card for the measurements.
- Coconut milk: Full-fat canned, unsweetened coconut milk.
- Cornstarch: Thickens the sauce.
- Lemon juice: Adds brightness and a zing! to the cheese sauce.
- Nutritional yeast: Otherwise known as “nooch” – a great cheesy substitute for vegans.
- Garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and salt: Flavorful seasoning. No blandness here.
This dairy-free cheese sauce takes less than 10 minutes to make! You can find the full printable recipe in the recipe card below.
- Whisk all ingredients together in a medium-sized pot.
- On medium heat, bring the cheese sauce to a simmer for 5 minutes. Reduce to low if the sauce is splattering.
- Store any leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days in an airtight container. Reheat on the stove or in the microwave.
- I do not recommend freezing the cheese sauce. Cornstarch does not freeze well.
🥛 Variations & Substitutions
- Coconut milk substitutions: You can substitute the coconut milk with 1.5 cups of another type of milk. I recommend using extra creamy oat milk for the best consistency. Other kinds of milk will work, but you may need to add more cornstarch. To do this after the sauce is warm, make a cornstarch slurry (dry cornstarch will clump in warm liquid.) Mix 2 tablespoons of water with 1 tablespoon of cornstarch. Add a little at a time until the sauce is the thickness you desire.
- Cornstarch substitutions: Arrowroot powder is the next best substitution for cornstarch. Tapioca starch will also work in a pinch.
- Different flavors: Add taco seasoning for a nacho-style sauce, or find inspiration from this carrot and potato vegan nacho cheese. Use smoked paprika instead of regular paprika for a smokey flavor. Add hot sauce for some heat.
🍉 5-Day Vegan Beginner’s Guide 🥦
Need help with your vegan journey?
Sign up for the (totally free) guide here!
⭐ Did you make this recipe? ⭐
Please leave a comment and a star review below.
Vegan Cheese Sauce
- In a medium-sized pot, whisk all ingredients together.
- On medium heat, bring to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Use full fat, unsweetened coconut milk.
- You can substitute the coconut milk with 1.5 cups of another creamy non-dairy milk. I recommend oat milk because it tends to be the creamiest (Planet Oat’s Extra Creamy Oatmilk is my favorite!) See the variations section in the blog post about thickening the sauce if using a different kind of milk.
- Because the sauce is so thick and creamy, it may splatter when simmering. Reduce the heat to low or cover with a lid.