This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy.
Veggie fried rice made tasty ingredients like miso paste and sesame seeds. This recipe is totally egg-free, oil-free and vegan.
Veggie Fried Rice
Fried rice was one of the very first dishes my husband and I learned to make as a married couple. Back then, we used his mother’s recipe and ate it at least once a week. That recipe contained eggs and either shrimp or chicken, so we’ve definitely modified it since then.
Our new revamped veggie fried rice contains a TON of vegetables – peas, corn, carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower. As a kid, I couldn’t stand cauliflower unless it was covered in cheese. Now, I add into like…everything. Sloppy joes, bolognese, soup…I just love the crisp and tender texture of cauliflower.
White rice is my preference in this recipe, but feel free to use brown rice. I personally don’t mind brown rice, but it’s not my favorite. White rice has a bad reputation, but if you really research and dig into the facts, there really is not a huge difference in health compared to brown rice. In fact, brown rice has a higher level of arsenic than white rice. So, do with that info what you will.
The Fried Rice Sauce
Unlike the original fried rice recipe we loved so much, we’ll be making a special sauce for this veggie fried rice. This is primarily because we’ll be using miso paste, which is really thick so turning it into a sauce will help distribute those tasty flavors.
My mom made fried rice with miso paste when we visited her house recently, and omg, I will never make fried rice without it again.
Along with the miso, the sauce is made with soy sauce, brown rice vinegar, garlic, onion, ginger, and pepper. Total classic fried rice deliciousness.
The sauce can be prepared ahead of time, along with the rice, to save some time in the kitchen. Fried rice also reheats well, so you can always make the entire dish on a Sunday to enjoy for lunch or dinner during the week. Time is precious, especially in the evening!
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 1 cup chopped cauliflower
- 1 large chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- Rinse the uncooked rice to remove excess starch. I do this in a mesh strainer.
- Cook the rice according to the package instructions, but leave a little time off so the rice is just slightly undercooked. For example, I cook it for about 12 minutes while the package says 15 minutes.
- Once the rice is cooked, stick it in the fridge to cool a little (unless you don't mind sticky fried rice.) I usually prep the rice the day before.
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat and toast the sesame seeds a bit (about 3 minutes or so, stirring a few times.)
- Add the broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots to the skillet along with 2-3 tbsp of water. Cover and let the veggies cook through until fork tender, about 8 minutes.
- In the meantime, mix all of the sauce ingredients together in a bowl.
- Add the peas, corn, and rice to the skillet. Mix in the sauce.
- Cook until the rice is tender and hot, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Garnish your veggie fried rice with additional sesame seeds, or green onions, or serve as is!