This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy.
Looking for a super easy vegan lunch idea? This mashed vegan chickpea salad sandwich is delicious and made with simple ingredients.
Are you craving a satisfying sandwich? Great news! We are going to tackle that need right now.
Before going vegan, I really loved a good sandwich. Of course, those sandwiches involved deli meat and cheese, or tuna salad, or chicken salad. Instead of the latter two, you can make a tasty chickpea salad sandwich with some epic toppings. Same flavors and similar texture, no animals harmed, win-win.
- Chickpeas: A can. Drained and rinsed. Or, about 1.5 cups of cooked chickpeas. Did you know chickpeas are totally packed with protein? They are an excellent meat alternative.
- Vegan mayo: Use your favorite! Just Mayo, Hellman's vegan version, and Vegenaise are all great options. See the section on variations for substitutions.
- Lemon juice: Adds a little zip of acidity to the chickpea salad. Can substitute with apple cider vinegar.
- Garlic powder: Or fresh minced garlic.
- Chopped celery and red onion: Adds flavor and crunch to the filling.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Bread and toppings.
Step 1: Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Add to a bowl and mash with a fork to your desired texture. You can also pulse the chickpeas in a food processor. Step 2: Chop the veggies and add them in.
Step 3: Mix everything together. Add more vegan mayo if you want more moisture, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Step 4: Assemble your chickpea salad sandwiches with the toppings you love.
Sandwich Topping Ideas
Chickpea salad is definitely delicious as is, but every sandwich is better with amazing toppings! Here are some ideas if you're in a rut.
- Greens or microgreens
- Buffalo sauce
- Vegan bacon bits
- Pickles or relish
- Pickled onions
- Bell peppers
Variations and Substitutions
Gluten-free: The mashed chickpea salad filling itself is already gluten-free! Just use your favorite gluten-free bread or wrap.
Onions and celery: You can leave these out or substitute with onion powder and celery seed.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Please leave a comment and a ⭐ star review below!
Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- 1 can chickpeas or 1.5 cups cooked
- 3 tablespoons vegan mayo or more to taste
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- ¼ cup chopped celery
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices bread
- toppings of choice
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Add to a bowl and mash with a fork to your desired texture.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients. Add more vegan mayo if you want more moisture, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Assemble your sandwiches! Add lettuce, tomato, cucumber, avocado...whatever you love.
- Store in the fridge for up to 3 days.