This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy.
If you are new around here, you probably are not yet aware of my love for chickpeas. It’s pretty ridiculous. If you’re familiar with my blog, you might be thinking “What the heck, woman, stop posting about chickpeas!” I’m sorry. I can’t. 😉
A couple weeks ago I shared with you my Chickpea Meatball Recipe (which is amazing.) I also make a crazy healthy Hemp Oil Chickpea Spread and an absolutely divine Roasted Red Pepper Hummus. I love whipping up delicious chickpea recipes! They are the most amazing little things, so versatile, and the perfect alternative to meat in many recipes.
Would anyone buy a cook book dedicated strictly to chickpeas?! Kidding. Sort of…
Chickpeas are the perfect alternative to meat in many recipes, and using it instead of chicken or tuna in a salad sandwich is so, so delicious.
I used to love eating tuna salad, until I learned the following:
- Tuna contains highly toxic levels of mercury
- The tuna industry (and fish industry in general) is incredibly unethical and unsustainable
My family is also making a big effort to consume less meat and more healthy, plant-based foods.
Chickpea Salad Sandwich Recipe
This recipe takes a little more work than popping a can open and mixing with mayonnaise simply because you have to put a little extra time into mashing it all up – but it’s so worth it. I like to make it in a double batch because we love eating sandwiches around here.
Start with a can of organic chickpeas, or a cup and a half of bulk chickpeas that you have soaked and cooked. If you opt to use dried chickpeas and cook them, make sure they are super soft. You can tell when they are very soft because they’ll start to shed their “shell” and split apart.
Then, throw them into a blender to break them down. This step with make them much easier to mash together with the other ingredients. Transfer the blended chickpeas to a bowl with the remaining ingredients (if you have a stand mixer, use that bowl).
Mix on medium speed for a few minutes until it reaches a smooth texture. If you want it super smooth, keep on mixing. I like mine to have some chunks left in there. If it’s too dry, add more vegan mayo or oil.
If you don’t have a stand mixer or hand mixer, use a potato masher or a fork to work everything together. It may not come out as smooth, but it’ll still be yummy!
This chickpea salad is wonderful on bread, a tortilla, or a lettuce wrap with your favorite veggie toppings. You can even use it as a dip for veggies and crackers.
It makes for the perfect healthy lunch or snack recipe.
Chickpea Salad Sandwich Recipe (Vegan)
- 1 can chickpeas - or 1.5 cups cooked
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 cloves chopped or pressed fresh garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2-4 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- salt and pepper to taste
- slice Optional toppings: diced or cucumbers - tomatoes, pickles, carrot sticks, baby spinach, mustard
- First, if you are opting to cook your own chickpeas instead of using canned, make sure they are very soft and tender.
- Give the chickpeas a quick whirl in a blender, or mash them up well.
- Next, add them into a mixing bowl with the rest of the ingredients. The mayo, or oil, is really dependent on your preference. Personally, I like to use a couple tablespoons of mayo and then top it off with some oil for a creamy texture.
- Then, you'll want to mix or mash the salad very well. I use my stand mixer, but a hand-held mixer will work fine. Let the mixer run on medium speed for a few minutes until you have a smooth texture. Or, if you don't have a mixer, just keep mashing and hand-stirring! It may not be a super smooth chickpea salad, but it will still be delicious.
- Spread on your favorite bread, on a tortilla, or a lettuce wrap and top with your favorite toppings. My personal favorite topping for a chickpea salad sandwich is lots of cucumbers, sprinkled with a little extra pink salt on top.